Odd question

  • ok_n_az68
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
      i know this has been talked about before . but why would the county of
      maricopa switch over to 800 band when the signal isn't all that
      great . to me would have been cheaper and better signal to stay at the
      450 band or go with 150 vhf hi i'm just putting in my .02 worth
    • The GreyMage
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
        ok_n_az68 wrote:
        > i know this has been talked about before . but why would the county of
        > maricopa switch over to 800 band when the signal isn't all that
        > great . to me would have been cheaper and better signal to stay at the
        > 450 band or go with 150 vhf hi i'm just putting in my .02 worth

        I believe the change was mandated by the FCC. It is not just public
        safety freqs that are changing.
        The FCC is re-allocating the entire spectrum.

        Doc

        Doc

        The Mind of everyday Life is in itself the Path
        PGP key on request or on Idap://keyserver.pgp.com
        witchydruid@... witchdrd@...

        "Those that wish to remain free must study nature.
        For it is Nature's God that allows the animals to
        roam free. To be a Free Man, One must always
        obey Nature's Laws." The GreyMage 1974

        "The purest form of libertarian government is one
        where the government, at all levels, would be
        forbidden by law to meddle in most matters. And
        the people, bless their black flabby little hearts,
        would have little oppertunity to change it."
        The GreyMage "Through a glass darkly" 1981
      • Jon Hanson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
          ok_n_az68 wrote:

          >i know this has been talked about before . but why would the county of
          >maricopa switch over to 800 band when the signal isn't all that
          >great . to me would have been cheaper and better signal to stay at the
          >450 band or go with 150 vhf hi i'm just putting in my .02 worth

          One of the reasons everyone is moving to 800 MHz is that the other
          bands have no more bandwidth left for new frequencies.
          I don't understand the "signal isn't all that great" comment.
          Maricopa County has been on 800 MHz for a while now. Aside from the
          occasional complaint of "going digital" when listening to the Sheriff's
          Department, I've never heard any other widespread complaints of
          reception problems from either the deputies or the dispatchers.
          Also, the 800 MHz band lends itself to trunking more than the other
          bands because that's what it was primarily allocated for. We no longer
          have the bandwidth to allocate every department their own frequency. You
          can see from the sheer number of talkgroups that the county has that
          they have a lot of radio users.

          --
          Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
          Homepage: http://www.the-hansons-az.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
            Jon

            Let me give you an example of why i made that comment about signal . how many times have you made or taken cell phone call's and all of the sudden the call was dropped . maybe it was caused by bad location or loss of signal do to being far away from another tower to pick up another waiting freq to pick up the signal . what i don't understand is why would a county as large as some states need a tower in every town . if you looked at the miles there is alot of open country and not alot of tower .those repeater's are not that powerful . base 100 watt's , mobile 13 watt's . i also understand about talk group's there are alot of them that use these freq's . but why would the county go digital ? to hide from the public

            Jon Hanson <jon@...> wrote:
            ok_n_az68 wrote:

            >i know this has been talked about before . but why would the county of
            >maricopa switch over to 800 band when the signal isn't all that
            >great . to me would have been cheaper and better signal to stay at the
            >450 band or go with 150 vhf hi i'm just putting in my .02 worth

            One of the reasons everyone is moving to 800 MHz is that the other
            bands have no more bandwidth left for new frequencies.
            I don't understand the "signal isn't all that great" comment.
            Maricopa County has been on 800 MHz for a while now. Aside from the
            occasional complaint of "going digital" when listening to the Sheriff's
            Department, I've never heard any other widespread complaints of
            reception problems from either the deputies or the dispatchers.
            Also, the 800 MHz band lends itself to trunking more than the other
            bands because that's what it was primarily allocated for. We no longer
            have the bandwidth to allocate every department their own frequency. You
            can see from the sheer number of talkgroups that the county has that
            they have a lot of radio users.

            --
            Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
            Homepage: http://www.the-hansons-az.net
            Weblog: http://www.the-hansons-az.net/wordpress/
            Jabber IM: jon@...

            New 2005-2006 SOUTHWEST FREQUENCY DIRECTORY 9th Edition -
            www.ArizonaScanner.com - The radio resource local experts wrote and professionals rely on!

            Public safety radio Radio frequency Arizona will Entertainment new york Satellite radio Weather radios

            ---------------------------------

          • walter
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
              Comments interspersed.
              Make sure you read all the way down.
              Walter

              -- mark williams <ruger_44_magnum_99@...> wrote:
              Jon

              Let me give you an example of why i made that comment about signal . how many times have you made or taken cell phone call's and all of the sudden the call was dropped . maybe it was caused by bad location or loss of signal do to being far away from another tower to pick up another waiting freq to pick up the signal .

              **Or it was a bad handoff to the next site. Entirely different technology and power levels.

              what i don't understand is why would a county as large as some states need a tower in every town .

              **You JUST complained about dropped cellular calls, and now you're saying there are 'too many' towers? More towers = more frequency reuse = more system capacity.

              if you looked at the miles there is alot of open country and not alot of tower .those repeater's are not that powerful .
              base 100 watt's , mobile 13 watt's .

              **Where did you get those numbers? the typical 800 MHz public safety base station has ERP (effective radiated power) in the multi-hundreds to thousands of watts! And the SO's mobiles are 100 watt Astro Spectra's! With gain antennas, that makes them in the range of 300 watts ERP! Compare that to cellular companies with base ERP's in the low 100's, and handheld phones with ERP's in the 0.1's of watts!

              i also understand about talk group's there are alot of them that use these freq's . but why would the county go digital ? to hide from the public

              **The "county" didn't go digital. Only the SO. Lots of people on this list listen to the SO on their scanners. So, your comment about 'to hide from the public' doesn't make any sense.

              **And the FCC did NOT mandate the move to 800 MHz. The only 'mandate' is the 800 MHz rebanding that's coming to AZ in a couple of years. And the shift to more spectrally efficient modes, of which APCO 25 is only one of several currently available, including narrowband ANALOG voice.

              **There simply weren't any more frequencies available at 150 or 450 to do what the county wanted as far as radio. So they went 800. Now the problem is, that there aren't enough 800 MHz frequencies available for the state to put in a statewide system. Looks like we're going to do 700.

              Jon Hanson <jon@...> wrote:
              ok_n_az68 wrote:

              >i know this has been talked about before . but why would the county of
              >maricopa switch over to 800 band when the signal isn't all that
              >great . to me would have been cheaper and better signal to stay at the
              >450 band or go with 150 vhf hi i'm just putting in my .02 worth

              One of the reasons everyone is moving to 800 MHz is that the other
              bands have no more bandwidth left for new frequencies.
              I don't understand the "signal isn't all that great" comment.
              Maricopa County has been on 800 MHz for a while now. Aside from the
              occasional complaint of "going digital" when listening to the Sheriff's
              Department, I've never heard any other widespread complaints of
              reception problems from either the deputies or the dispatchers.

              **That's only in the very recent past. There were some serious birthing pangs when it first came on-line.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
                guess i need to learn more about how the band work's . but what i'm confused about is . you say a mobile put's out 300 erp to where the license shows 30 erp to me the antenna would be red hot of using to much power .

                walter <walter.howard@...> wrote: Comments interspersed.

                Jon Hanson <jon@...> wrote:
                ok_n_az68 wrote:

                >i know this has been talked about before . but why would the county of
                >maricopa switch over to 800 band when the signal isn't all that
                >great . to me would have been cheaper and better signal to stay at the
                >450 band or go with 150 vhf hi i'm just putting in my .02 worth

                One of the reasons everyone is moving to 800 MHz is that the other
                bands have no more bandwidth left for new frequencies.
                I don't understand the "signal isn't all that great" comment.
                Maricopa County has been on 800 MHz for a while now. Aside from the
                occasional complaint of "going digital" when listening to the Sheriff's
                Department, I've never heard any other widespread complaints of
                reception problems from either the deputies or the dispatchers.

                **That's only in the very recent past. There were some serious birthing pangs when it first came on-line.

                Also, the 800 MHz band lends itself to trunking more than the other
                bands because that's what it was primarily allocated for. We no longer
                have the bandwidth to allocate every department their own frequency. You
                can see from the sheer number of talkgroups that the county has that
                they have a lot of radio users.

                --
                Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
                Homepage: http://www.the-hansons-az.net
                Weblog: http://www.the-hansons-az.net/wordpress/
                Jabber IM: jon@...

                New 2005-2006 SOUTHWEST FREQUENCY DIRECTORY 9th Edition -
                www.ArizonaScanner.com - The radio resource local experts wrote and professionals rely on!

                ---------------------------------

              • Tracy
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
                  --- In ArizonaScanner@yahoogroups.com, mark williams
                  <ruger_44_magnum_99@y...> wrote:

                  > guess i need to learn more about how the band work's . but what i'm
                  confused about is . you say a mobile put's out 300 erp to where the
                  license shows 30 erp to me the antenna would be red hot of using to
                  much power.

                  ERP (Effective Radiated Power) is the power output of the radio
                  transmitter after adding in the gain of the antenna (less any loss due
                  to cable etc).