Ambulance at CSTS?

  • Adam Whiting
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 21, 2010
      The Phoenix, AZ Can't Stop the Serenity emailed to say that they will
      be at a theater willing to extend their insurance umbrella to the
      Ariel Ambulance in the parking lot! Unfortunately, expenses have gone
      up substantially since last year and the Phoenix CSTS group doesn't
      have the budget to help get the Ambulance there from where it's parked
      at Tomorrow's Aeronautical Museum in Compton, CA (outside LA).

      Do we want to try to fix it up and get it there on our own dime?

      Sunday, September 19, 2010 ("Talk Like A Pirate" Day)
      MADCAP Theaters at 730 South Mill Ave, Tempe, AZ
      http://azbrowncoats.org/csts/phoenix

      The CSTS events list:
      http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/2010-event-listings/

      Thanks,
      Adam Whiting, AARGanizer
    • Scott S. Atkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 21, 2010
        Did we ever find anyone who has a rig big enough to tow it?

        Phoenix isn't *that* far... since my transfer at work, though, I have to work weekends now, and vacations requests needed to be in a while ago... so even if we rented something, I couldn't help much.  Ack, I think the damn trailer hitch jack is still broken, too...

        --
        Scott Atkins
        Burbank, CA USA

        On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Adam Whiting <adam.r.whiting@...> wrote:

        The Phoenix, AZ Can't Stop the Serenity emailed to say that they will
        be at a theater willing to extend their insurance umbrella to the
        Ariel Ambulance in the parking lot! Unfortunately, expenses have gone
        up substantially since last year and the Phoenix CSTS group doesn't
        have the budget to help get the Ambulance there from where it's parked
        at Tomorrow's Aeronautical Museum in Compton, CA (outside LA).

        Do we want to try to fix it up and get it there on our own dime?

        Sunday, September 19, 2010 ("Talk Like A Pirate" Day)
        MADCAP Theaters at 730 South Mill Ave, Tempe, AZ
        http://azbrowncoats.org/csts/phoenix

        The CSTS events list:
        http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/2010-event-listings/

        Thanks,
        Adam Whiting, AARGanizer

      • Shawn Crosby

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 23, 2010
            Unless the AARG was sure that they could raise more money than they spend, I can't see depleting the $715 left in the fund to try to get the AA to an event.

            There hasn't been a donation or meaningful restoration action taken on the AA for about two years.
            I think planning for the contingency of loosing storage for the AA needs to be the group's primary concern.
            Interest in Firefly has waned in the past few years.
            People on the Replica Prop Forum are selling off their Firefly collections to move on to new interests.
            Given the amount of money raised to preserve the AA, it would be a shame to see it hauled away for scrap.
            The time to plan for the long-term preservation of the AA is now, before events overtake the group.
            Private owner? Sci-Fi Museum?
            Can anyone else take over if the AARG loses its current storage?

            Given the lack of ongoing interest and donations,
            I believe long-term preservation needs to take precedence over display opportunities.
            Hey, if I hit the lottery tomorrow....

            Mike

          • Gorean@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 23, 2010
              I can approach the air museum here in Denver...

              "Never eat anything bigger than your head, never shoot pool at a place called Pop's, never eat food at a place called Mom's" Capt. M. Gideon

              In a message dated 6/23/2010 8:54:50 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, pennausamike@... writes:

              Unless the AARG was sure that they could raise more money than they spend, I can't see depleting the $715 left in the fund to try to get the AA to an event.

              There hasn't been a donation or meaningful restoration action taken on the AA for about two years.
              I think planning for the contingency of loosing storage for the AA needs to be the group's primary concern.
              Interest in Firefly has waned in the past few years.
              People on the Replica Prop Forum are selling off their Firefly collections to move on to new interests.
              Given the amount of money raised to preserve the AA, it would be a shame to see it hauled away for scrap.
              The time to plan for the long-term preservation of the AA is now, before events overtake the group.
              Private owner? Sci-Fi Museum?
              Can anyone else take over if the AARG loses its current storage?

              Given the lack of ongoing interest and donations,
              I believe long-term preservation needs to take precedence over display opportunities.
              Hey, if I hit the lottery tomorrow....

              Mike

              --- In ArielAmbulance@yahoogroups.com, Adam Whiting <adam.r.whiting@...> wrote:

              > Do we want to try to fix it up and get it there on our own dime?
              >

              > Thanks,
              > Adam Whiting, AARGanizer

            • Shawn Crosby
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 23, 2010
                Cool! If it's Wings over the Rockies, they sounded interested last time I spoke to them. I know Kevin Christley, who cares for the Lucasfilm X-Wing there.

                Love the B-5 quote.. :D

              • Gorean@AOL.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 23, 2010
                  Yes. Wings over the Rockies.... and I guarantee there will be time spent on it if it's here.

                • Freebajor@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 23, 2010
                    If anyone's interested in permanent storage, I'm sure that Wings Over The Rockies would love to have it.  They're an aviation museum, but they already have an X-Wing from the Star Wars films; what would one more s/f vehicle hurt?

                    Steph

                    In a message dated 6/23/2010 9:31:28 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, johnmarkeastman@... writes:

                    Its not that people werent interested in helping to restore the AA, its that they were shot down by the group, lile myself.  I live 5 minutes away, have been down to look at it and have been ready to start assembling it/ repairing it.  If you look in earlier threads, youll see that this group doesnt want to restore or assemble it.  You want to keep it portable and on the trailer ready to take to an event.  I do not disagree, but work cant take place unless its assembled and people are allowed to work on it.  Ive moved on......

                    Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

                    Unless the AARG was sure that they could raise more money than they spend, I can't see depleting the $715 left in the fund to try to get the AA to an event.

                    There hasn't been a donation or meaningful restoration action taken on the AA for about two years.
                    I think planning for the contingency of loosing storage for the AA needs to be the group's primary concern.
                    Interest in Firefly has waned in the past few years.
                    People on the Replica Prop Forum are selling off their Firefly collections to move on to new interests.
                    Given the amount of money raised to preserve the AA, it would be a shame to see it hauled away for scrap.
                    The time to plan for the long-term preservation of the AA is now, before events overtake the group.
                    Private owner?  Sci-Fi Museum?
                    Can anyone else take over if the AARG loses its current storage?

                    Given the lack of ongoing interest and donations,
                    I believe long-term preservation needs to take precedence over display opportunities.
                    Hey, if I hit the lottery tomorrow....

                    Mike

                    --- In ArielAmbulance@yahoogroups.com, Adam Whiting <adam. r.whiting@...> wrote:

                    > Do we want to try to fix it up and get it there on our own dime?
                    >

                    > Thanks,
                    > Adam Whiting, AARGanizer
                  • Shawn Crosby
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 24, 2010
                      WotR is a *great* museum, and as of last contact already know they'd have us, unless something has changed. I am fortunate enough to take charge of the X-Wing when it travels to Southern California so know the logistics well. Just beware that it differs from the Ambulance in several key respects:

                      1) Lucasfilm pays/reimburses for the restoration and maintenance of the X-Wing; Fox and Universal aren't going to back us up.

                      2) The X-Wing only travels when Lucasfilm ponies up the money to transport it. Last I checked  (in 2007) it cost them $10,000 to transport it from Denver to LA, and more from LA to New York (albeit on a rented truck). I'll be interested to see 2010 figures for the upcoming transport to Orlando for the Star Wars con.

                      The last year's WotR annual report shows the museum operating at a $93,000.00 loss, so let's not count on money. But space would be awesome!

                      Shawn

                      On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:45 PM, <Freebajor@...> wrote:

                      If anyone's interested in permanent storage, I'm sure that Wings Over The Rockies would love to have it.  They're an aviation museum, but they already have an X-Wing from the Star Wars films; what would one more s/f vehicle hurt?

                      Steph

                      In a message dated 6/23/2010 9:31:28 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time, johnmarkeastman@... writes:

                      Its not that people werent interested in helping to restore the AA, its that they were shot down by the group, lile myself.  I live 5 minutes away, have been down to look at it and have been ready to start assembling it/ repairing it.  If you look in earlier threads, youll see that this group doesnt want to restore or assemble it.  You want to keep it portable and on the trailer ready to take to an event.  I do not disagree, but work cant take place unless its assembled and people are allowed to work on it.  Ive moved on......

                      Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

                      Unless the AARG was sure that they could raise more money than they spend, I can't see depleting the $715 left in the fund to try to get the AA to an event.

                      There hasn't been a donation or meaningful restoration action taken on the AA for about two years.
                      I think planning for the contingency of loosing storage for the AA needs to be the group's primary concern.
                      Interest in Firefly has waned in the past few years.
                      People on the Replica Prop Forum are selling off their Firefly collections to move on to new interests.
                      Given the amount of money raised to preserve the AA, it would be a shame to see it hauled away for scrap.
                      The time to plan for the long-term preservation of the AA is now, before events overtake the group.
                      Private owner?  Sci-Fi Museum?
                      Can anyone else take over if the AARG loses its current storage?

                      Given the lack of ongoing interest and donations,
                      I believe long-term preservation needs to take precedence over display opportunities.
                      Hey, if I hit the lottery tomorrow....

                      Mike

                      --- In ArielAmbulance@yahoogroups.com, Adam Whiting <adam. r.whiting@...> wrote:

                      > Do we want to try to fix it up and get it there on our own dime?
                      >

                      > Thanks,
                      > Adam Whiting, AARGanizer

                    • RICHARD
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 24, 2010
                        Howdy Folks ,

                        I've haven't chimed in since delivering the AA aka BDP (Big Damn Prop) to Burbank,Ca in 2007 for Creations Salute To Firefly /Serenity and i would think where it is is good i.e. easy access to the prop-masters and the weather is good .

                        Do we have a Paypal account to donate to get some good Enamel epoxy paint that would be UV resistant and maybe make a a protective dome for the front of it ? I live in Monterey ,Ca and would like to go down and do some work on it if there can be a solid date and time and what we want to get done at that time maybe even get QMX to chat it up on their site .

                        Keep It "SHINY",

                        Rich "Mech" S.