Re: [ArielAmbulance] Ambulance Update

  • Chris Lagemann
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
      I'm also interested in seeing if the engine cowlings I made ever got installed?  Or if they're still with the ambulance...

      On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Shawn Crosby <obishawn@...> wrote:

      Thanks for asking, Mike! Some brief notes - let me know if you need more info.

      On the most basic level:

      > Is it in storage or on display?

      Yes to both. Adam got us a prime position at Tomorrow's Aeronautical Museum in Compton Airport in Southern California, where it is on display near the main office exit to the tarmac. TAM is a functioning museum and school for "at-risk" inner city youth, and west-coast home of the Tuskegee Airmen. They set flight records there on a regular basis, and it's always a joy to talk to the Tuskegees.

      The AA is viewable (outside on the tarmac) during the museum's operating hours, but is in "storage" mode on the trailer. I have set it up there at the museum for special event days, and regularly cover it when it looks like rain.

      > Is it being worked on?

      Slowly. We've had a couple of work days, but really need to have more. We have complete access, so our only hindrance is time and money. I'd love to have a couple of "planning meetings" to set up a course of action. Akin and I keep meaning to nab those engines...

      > Is there any danger of losing the AA?

      Not to my knowledge. The museum is in no need of space, and they have been nothing but friendly to us. I have gone down in my "Obi-Wan" and "A-Wing Pilot" capacities (and brought some 501st/Rebel Legion guys) to some of their charity fundraiser events to help us earn our keep. I've displayed the H-Wing there alongside the ambulance as well, and they seem glad to have us around.

      > Are there any future plans; both for restoration and display?

      Since we've located the major part of the engines, I'd love to get those purchased and installed. One work party was nothing but organization; thanks to the local Browncoats, all the props and costumes are in watertight containers and stored in my garage for safety (I've brought them out for display at each TAM event). I have a clipping of the quilted cargo blanket material from the interior, and am shopping it aroung downtown LA for a match. I'd really like to see the plex windows installed, and ger her a bit more watertight. But I still want to have those planning meetings and see if anyone else has any additional priorities.

      > Glad to see there is still money in the AARG Fund.
      > Perhaps save this in case we need to purchase storage?

      Never hurts to have a rainy-day fund.... :D

      Obi-Shawn

      --
      Now Andy did you hear about this one...