Re: [ArielAmbulance] This is a bit off topic...but....

  • Janet White
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
      This sounds like a fabulous thing to do, I wish I was closer!   Or I wish that there was an event like this out here!

      On Jan 31, 2008 8:51 PM, Linda Russell <werellama@...> wrote:

      Oh gosh no..not at all.. just pointing out the reasons for the rate.
      Wish y'all were closer too...it looks like we're going to have a mighty fine group of folks showing up. Some all the way from New Mexico...which is way shiny.

      Shawn Crosby <obishawn@...> wrote:
      No argument here- my post was meant to generate interest in your game, not berate it, so I hope you didn't take it as such. Wish I lived closer- I'd come out.

      On Jan 31, 2008 7:29 AM, Linda Russell <werellama@...> wrote:
      That sounds like it was a complete blast!

      Our rates are set the way they are because it's a two night stay in a secluded scout camp, all meals are included (and trust me..it's not going to be just hotdogs and canned beans- this will be first rate well prepared healthy food),there are props to make, decor to do, cleanup after etc etc.

      Shawn Crosby <obishawn@...> wrote:
      I was in a FF larp last year... was pretty fun, with several competing crews trying to outmaneuver/outdeal the Serenity gang. I played Badger, and did a lot of behind-the-scenes manipulatin' in my very fine hat. Colleen was Kaylee with Serenity.

      We paid far less that their price, though this was only one day and had around 30 people. Had drinkin' and gamblin' and fightin' and plottin'- what more could you want?

      I've included a rundown of some memorable events written up by "Jayne" from the game... if this sounds like fun to you, then you'll want to play in the game.

      Game: BIG DAMN HEROES: THE FIREFLY/SERENITY LARP
      Date: Saturday, August 25, 2007
      Site: Paul Gleason Theater, Hollywood

      Plot decision:  The game is now definitely set in the
      'Verse post-SERENITY.  Therefore, at least two major
      characters no longer exist in the setting.  If you
      don't know which, it's time to go watch the movie.

      Main Cast:

      Captain Malcolm Reynolds -- Michael Reed
      Zoe Washburn -- Flor San Roman
      Jayne Cobb -- Ray Lavoie
      Kaylee Frye -- Colleen Crosby
      Inara Serra -- Amy Calcote
      Doctor Simon Tam -- Aaron Vanek
      River Tam -- Megan Knox
      Badger -- Shawn Crosby
      Saffron -- Colleen Kennedy
      __________________________________

      One of the things that's inevitably disappointing about any live game is the fact that you can't be everywhere at once, so you miss out on seeing, or taking part in, some great lines and scenes.  I was particularly blessed at this game to interact with some fabulous role-players.  So this message has two purposes - to highlight by way of thanks those of my fellow players who gave me the gift of their talents and wit for some delightful scenes, and to encourage other players to do the same, because I'm sure I missed some great stuff!

      I'm doing this from memory, so some of the spoken lines may be paraphrased a little bit.  I think, though, that I've captured the essence of all of these interactions, and I know I've got the money quotes in each one down pretty well.  But, if by faulty memory I've misrepresented anything, I welcome emendations and corrections.

      These are in rough game chronological order, but there may be some overlap.  Now, on with my list of favorites - I hope this inspires some of you to share yours.

      *****
      1. Scene - the Guymer vegetable stand.

      Jayne (reading laboriously): Green...peppers.  Grow, back, hair.  Huh?  Now why you think I'd wanna buy me one o' these peppers.  I don't want no more back hair!
      Mrs. Guymer (played by Heather Pritchett): No, it means they grow hair where you don't have any.
      Jayne: That ain't no better - I don't want no hair where I ain't got none!
      Mrs. Guymer:  No, no.  I mean it grows back the hair you've lost, like on your head.
      Jayne (pointing to the Companion Winston Steele): Well, go peddle 'em to him, then.  He looks like he could use 'em.  I don't need me no more back hair!  (Stalks off)
      Mrs. Guymer (to her husband): *sigh* I think we need a new sign.

      *****

      2. Scene a) - the Guymer vegetable stand (again)

      Jayne (reading laboriously, again): Peaches.  May be used as an afro-dye, um afro-diss, (looks confusedly at Mrs. Guymer)
      Mrs. Guymer: Aphrodisiac
      Jayne:  What's that?
      Mrs. Guymer (sounding a bit embarrassed): Well, um, it something that gives you a feeling like you get when you drink alcohol.
      Jayne: Whiskey peaches?  You got whiskey in them peaches?
      Mrs. Guymer: No, not exactly.  But you get a feeling like you have drunk...
      Jayne (impatient): Look, you got liquor in them peaches or not?  (He doesn't wait for Mrs. Guymer's reply, but storms off with a scowl).

      Scene b) - Jayne interrupts a conversation Inara is having

      Jayne: Inara, you're educated.  What's an aphrodisiac?
      Inara (played by Amy Calcotte) (somewhat horrified): Nothing you need, Jayne.
      Jayne: That ain't no proper answer!  Is it liquor?
      Inara: No, it's not liquor, it's... look, you don't need any, okay?
      Jayne.  Hmpf.  (heads back to the Guymer vegetable stand).

      Scene c) - back at the vegetable stand

      Jayne: Look, my friend there told me aphrodisiac's ain't liquor.  You lyin' to me?
      Mrs. Guymer (a bit flustered): No!  No!  I never meant they actually contained alcohol.  I meant that, you know, like when you drink, you get certain feelings, and certain things are easier... and these peaches...
      Jayne: Certain things?
      Mrs. Guymer (still more flustered): Well, men and women, when they drink...
      Jayne: Sex peaches!?  These are sex peaches!

      (and thus started a very fun running subplot where Jayne got his hands on a "sex peach" - purely a placebo, alas for Jayne - and spend much of his free time sizing up ladies to share the peach with him...)

      *****
      3. Scene - The Tall Card competition is about to start.  Jayne, Simon (played by Aaron Vanek), River (played by Megan Knox), and Inara are discussing if anyone from Serenity will enter.

      Jayne: I dunno I'm gonna enter.  Looks like they got some real pros at that table.  I usually only play 'gainst you all.
      River: Plus, you cheat.
      Jayne: Wha? I - uh, No!  That's crazy talk! I do not cheat!
      River: I heard it in your brain.
      Simon (outraged): You cheat!?!?
      Jayne: Aw hell, Doc, I hafta - it's too gorram easy.
      Simon (even more outraged): All those extra chores!!  I had two full weeks of chores that weren't mine!
      Jayne: Y'know, I'm kinda doin' you a favor - teachin' ya how to spot cheaters.  All I'm takin' ya for is chores - think what one o' these fancy gambler'd take ya for!  Real money!
      Simon (not even listening): I had septic vac duty three weeks in a row!  I'm still trying to get the smell out from under my fingernails!!
      Jayne (snickering): Yeah, you did at that, didn't ya?  (breaks into a cackle)

      And then the rest of the crew joins in, just like on the show when they all cackle at the misfortune of some crewmate or other.  Very evocative scene, and Aaron and Megan were both spot-on in their characterizations.

      *****
      4. Scene - Watching the Tall Card competition - Jayne has come over to chat with Saffron (aka Tamara, played by Colleen Kennedy).  Saffron suggests that she and Jayne are pretty much alike - both just doing whatever they need to do to get ahead.  Jayne objects, and points out that he's got a crew who take care of him.

      Jayne: I get patched up when I get shot.  There been plenty of times anybody else'd've left me, they made sure I got back with 'em.  I got me folk now.  You ain't got none.
      Saffron (somewhat sardonically): Are we having a heart-to-heart talk now?
      Jayne (getting up): Naw.  Fella wants to have one o' those, both folks talkin' gotta have a heart. (he leaves).

      *****

      5. Scene - the cockpit of Serenity.  The climax scene of the whole game for the Serenity crew.  Not a lot of snappy dialogue here, but lots of Thrilling Heroics.

      Sneaking onto the ship in the confusion surrounding the evacuation caused by the giant mutant grubs, Carter Lawton and Kate O'Hara (played by Ian Fagan and Karen Bowman) have hijacked Serenity and threatened to space the crew.  Well, more than threatened, really.  River is already in pretty bad shape, having actually been sucked out into space momentarily before being pulled back into the ship by Zoe. Thanks to Kaylee's (played by Colleen Crosby) quick work in the engine room, the blast doors have been disabled, so Mal (played by Mike Reed), Zoe, and Jayne have made their way to the cockpit door, since Kate and Carter are a bit distracted by dealing with an Alliance ship demanding they put down immediately, and major problems with the life support system, which Simon has managed to hack using Decius, a highly advanced computer the crew had stolen before the game.  While Simon works to deal with River's injuries, Mal, Zoe, and Jayne they are in a Mexican standoff with Carter Lawton, who is trying to hold them off with the Great Big Gun he won in the Tall Card competition.    Mal keeps Carter talking while Jayne works feverishly under the door's line of sight to put in a shaped charge to blow it open.

      Mal tries to shoot through the glass of the porthole, but the bullet fails to shatter the glass.  As Carter raises the anti-tank gun, Zoe opens up on the weakened glass of the window, and Jayne fires the shaped charge to (hopefully) blow the door into Carter's face.

      But, while all this has been going on, River has been driven by desperation to reach down for mental powers she has only faintly grasped before.  She kills Carter Lawton with her brain, just as Zoe's gunfire and Jayne's explosives kick in, giving the impression that those more obvious actions did him in.

      Kate is now facing down the guns of Mal (an old lover), Zoe, and Jayne.  Things look bleak, but she gives Mal a Pleading Look, and he lowers his gun.  She rushes into his arms and plants a kiss on him (while reaching for her holdout pistol).  Zoe steps back, somewhat bemused.  Jayne reaches across Zoe, sticks the barrel of his six-gun into Kate's ear, and blows her brains out as she kisses Mal.  For the sake of theatricality, I think it would be a nice touch if the holdout gun tumbled out of her hand as she fell dead.

      Jayne (through the gun smoke): Bitch.

      *****

      (Note - Karen tells me her "plan A" was to try to sweet-talk Mal into letting her go, and only use the holdout gun as a last-ditch effort to win her freedom.  So she probably only had her hand on the gun during their embrace, but wasn't drawing it just yet.  Counting on Mal Reynolds' sentimentality was probably a good bet in this situation was probably a good bet.  Counting on similar sentimentality from Jayne Cobb?  Well...)

      There were a number of other great scenes - Shawn Crosby as Badger was brilliantly costumed and strikingly memorable, Maria Rodriguez as the mercenary Jesse Singh was a girl after Jayne's own heart, Jim Keller's and Steel's companions had marvelously disdainful reactions to Jayne's constant characterization of them as boy-whores, and Jason Schissel as Pedros Bill was hilarious as the lawman who didn't want to hear about anything bad happening that might obligate him to try to arrest the murderous thugs who were slaughtering the even more murderous thugs in his town.  The exact dialogue of those scenes, however, was a bit too fast and furious for me to recall.  I know that there was lots of other great stuff going on with folks who Jayne didn't spend much time with (or who did a good job of avoiding the big psycho), so please share your favorite scenes!

      Once again I'd like to thank everybody who took part in these memorable scenes with me - Heather and Colleen Kennedy for opportunities to explore both the comedic and dramatic sides of Jayne's personality, for Ian and Karen for being such great adversaries and good sports throughout, and most importantly
      Amy, Colleen Crosby, Megan, Simon, Flor, and Mike - the best damn crew in the 'verse.

      --
      Shawn Crosby
      Executive Officer, Los Angeles

    • Linda Russell
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2008
        <grin> well there is a group planning to run a Firefly Larp at a convention down in Florida..and there are groups springing up all over talking about doing Verse based larps.....it's just a perfect setting for a big damned adventure.

        Where are you located..maybe one of us knows someone doing one in your neck of the black.

        On Jan 31, 2008 7:29 AM, Linda Russell <werellama@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

        Game: BIG DAMN HEROES: THE FIREFLY/SERENITY LARP
        Date: Saturday, August 25, 2007