Re: [Archtop] Question for the Technically Inclined/ Just a guess........

  • Dave 'Doc' Corio
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2012
          I suspect you're right about it being the amp. Problem I have right now is that the store that did the repairs is closed and in the process of moving. It's a fair distance away, so I can't just camp out there & hope to catch somebody.

          I think I was mostly looking for someone to back up my diagnosis. Going to see if I can borrow an amp of some kind & see if that narrows it down. Problem is, it sometimes doesn't happen for a few days!

      Thanks, all who responded!!

      On 2/1/2012 10:25 PM, Bernie A. wrote:

      At first guess I believe it to be the amplifier.

      It is a good chance that a circuit or cap is opening up in the amplifier circuit after it gets a bit hot.  Now this
      is a pure guess, I would not ignore the switches on the axe either and see if one of those is not dropping out
      the signal from a pick-up.  A switch could be opening up dropping one pick-up out of the picture and
      turning the volume up compensates for loss of volume by pumping the remaining signal.
      I would go to the luthier who did your switch repair and drop it in his lap if it appeared with the return
      of your guitar from his/her repair?  Trial and error sometimes gets pricey quick, like replacing the battery, the alternator etc.
      until the car stays charged.  Don't spend to much time or money troubleshooting when a pro can probably
      finger the problem pretty quickly.

      On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM, <dbklein@...> wrote:
      At 07:45 PM 2/1/2012, Doc wrote:
      >Having a bit of a problem with either my guitar (1967 Domino Silver
      >Hawk) or my amp (Peavey Bandit). Really need some help diagnosing
      >this, but it is very intermitant, and I can't duplicate it on command.
      >Playing along, and all of a sudden the audio level drops by about
      >half. I can compensate by turning the volume on the guitar up, but
      >then at some point later, the sound level comes back up - now it's
      >much too loud.
      >Working the guitar volume control back & forth I get no scratchiness
      >or cutting out, nor with the volume controls on the amp. I took the
      >tuner and foot pedal out of the circuit completely to eliminate
      >them, and also get no reaction working the guitar cables.
      >Given the nature of the problem, I'm inclined to think it's the amp,
      >as I would expect to get some strange reaction working the volume
      >control or cable from the guitar around. However, it's my only
      >guitar and only amp, and with gigs scheduled, can't afford to be
      >without either for too long.
      >Anyone have any idea how to isolate this a little better?
      >Thanks in advance

      Doc, if I were you I'd go back to the techie that changed the
      switches in that guitar for you. Call him up and ask what he thinks.

      "The ONLY thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing."
      (Edmund Burke 1730 - 1797)

      STELLA BLUE........
      "Dust off those rusty strings just one more time"
      (Garcia -  Hunter)