Re: [ArachneDevelopment] end of life for Arachne....

  • Christof Lange
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 1969
      On 5 Dec 08 at 8:48, Greg Mayman <ArachneDevelopment@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      >On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:19:09, Christof Lange wrote:
      >
      >> I have very little time these days. On
      >> the other
      >> hand I am being forced to work with web pages that are difficult
      >> to display with Arachne, therefore I often switch to Firefox.
      >
      >Yes, too many sites use HTTPS and java.

      No, it is because of Arachne's limited CSS support.

      Christof

      Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
      Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
      Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
      http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov
    • Christof Lange
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 1969
        On 3 Dec 08 at 14:53, Glenn McCorkle <ArachneDevelopment@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        >| Werner, Bernie, Christoff, etc...etc... have all 'dropped-out' |

        Not really dropped-out, just cannnot keep up with the
        development speed recently ;-)

        I have very little time these days. On
        the other
        hand I am being forced to work with web pages that are difficult
        to display with Arachne, therefore I often switch to Firefox.
        I am happy that networking and even wifi is working well in DOS.
        So I suppose my use of Linux is only temporary. And I sincerely
        believe: There will be a life after Christmas.

        Thank you for all the recent up-dates. Please, do not despair.

        Regards,
        Christof

        Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
        Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
        Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
        http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov
      • Glenn McCorkle
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008
          --- In ArachneDevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Eriksson <bernhard@...> wrote:

          > Glenn McCorkle skrev:
          > > | 49) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 9:56:55 am (MST) |
          > > | |
          > > | glennmcc> |
          > > | Ray has ceased development of his fork. |
          > > | |
          > > | Joe seems to have 'dropped-out' of the development team. |
          > > | (in-fact... he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet) |
          > > | |
          > > | Werner, Bernie, Christoff, etc...etc... have all 'dropped-out' |
          > > | |
          > > | Hopefully v.195;GPL will suit your needs for quite some time to come. |
          > > | |
          > > | Because it _is_ 'the end of the line' for Arachne. |
          > > | |
          > > |=========================================================================|
          > >

          > More or less true all of it. The development list is almost dead. I
          > personally have way too much to do, but I've actually had a little time
          > over last week to start working with Bochs and a FreeDOS installation in
          > it so I can run Arachne on my computer. Haven't gotten very far yet
          > however so I have no idea how useful it will be for more than small tests.
          >
          > Why are you stopping your development efforts Glenn?

          It has been my plan for quite some time now that v1.95 would be my last.
          I have simply been putting-off making the 'official announcement'.

          I have spent eight years now working on Arachne development.
          It is now time for me to move on.
        • Bernhard Eriksson
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008

            Glenn McCorkle skrev:

[...]

            I'm sorry to hear that. So, who will step up and continue the great work you've been doing? I would love to, but I can't see how I could get the time required. Besides, I wouldn't use it as my day-to-day browser so wouldn't notice bugs as easily. What do you other (former?) developers have to say? Who are using Arachne? Who are willing (and able) to put time and effort into working on her? Or is the sad fact that what little time we have over for such a hobby better spent on other programs with a larger userbase?
            --
            Bernhard Eriksson, Wermlandsdata
            Fryxellsgatan 2, 652 22 Karlstad
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008
              On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:42:58 +0100, Bernhard Eriksson wrote:

              > More or less true all of it. The development list is almost dead. I
              > personally have way too much to do, but I've actually had a little time
              > over last week to start working with Bochs and a FreeDOS installation in
              > it so I can run Arachne on my computer. Haven't gotten very far yet
              > however so I have no idea how useful it will be for more than small tests.

              I have been mostly a lurker in the development list for a long time with
              occasional postings when I saw a problem (often due to my own
              ignorance).

              Now I really must express my gratitude for the number of times people
              have given me advice to hepl me out of my problems.

              Thanks a million fellas (and L.D.) for all your efforts!

              > Why are you stopping your development efforts Glenn?

              Could it be that he is looking for a life outside of his computer?

              Who, Glenn? Nah, that'll never happen..... <GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG>

              Thanks for all your help, Glenn, and special thanks for your download
              page where we have been able to pick up all kinds of goodies.

              Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
              and remember what peace there may be in silence.
              "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

              ,-./\
              / \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
              \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 35d 01'44"S 138d 32'13"E
            • Greg Mayman
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008