Re: [ArachneDevelopment] end of life for Arachne....

  • Christof Lange
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 1969
      On 5 Dec 08 at 8:48, Greg Mayman <ArachneDevelopment@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      >On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:19:09, Christof Lange wrote:
      >
      >> I have very little time these days. On
      >> the other
      >> hand I am being forced to work with web pages that are difficult
      >> to display with Arachne, therefore I often switch to Firefox.
      >
      >Yes, too many sites use HTTPS and java.

      No, it is because of Arachne's limited CSS support.

      Christof

      Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
      Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
      Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
      http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov
    • Christof Lange
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 1969
        On 3 Dec 08 at 14:53, Glenn McCorkle <ArachneDevelopment@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        >| Werner, Bernie, Christoff, etc...etc... have all 'dropped-out' |

        Not really dropped-out, just cannnot keep up with the
        development speed recently ;-)

        I have very little time these days. On
        the other
        hand I am being forced to work with web pages that are difficult
        to display with Arachne, therefore I often switch to Firefox.
        I am happy that networking and even wifi is working well in DOS.
        So I suppose my use of Linux is only temporary. And I sincerely
        believe: There will be a life after Christmas.

        Thank you for all the recent up-dates. Please, do not despair.

        Regards,
        Christof

        Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
        Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
        Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
        http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov
      • Glenn McCorkle
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008
          |AQC (clone of clone) Arachne v1.95 |
          |http://www.glennmcc.org/aqccc/ Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:14:41 |
          |_________________________________________________________________________|
          ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------,
          | 34) Tue, Dec 02, 2008 - 8:44:12 pm (MST) |
          | |
          | reset00> |
          | I'm trying login with a193's ftp but it gives me a standard ara error |
          | message. Does 193 have a ftp problem? |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 36) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 1:09:58 am (MST) |
          | |
          | reset00> |
          | re a193gpl, post #34, not important! I'm here with a195 and ftp works |
          | well with 195. Had some trouble with setup though! It would not |
          | connect no matter what i did until i deleted the arachne's startup |
          | files including arachne.cfg and ran setup again. |
          | |
          | According to what I can tell from the DOS dir, the arachne.cfg file |
          | may have been present in the distro (but ought not have been there) OR |
          | the .pcx file was there and whichever one it was had contained someone |
          | else's config settings which do not work for me! |
          | |
          | Question. |
          | Why has arachne been bloated lately with the inclusion of rar, zip, |
          | unzip, 2 modem packet drivers (when lsppp is smaller and can be loaded |
          | after miniterm with @lsppp /dl:), a plethora of duplicate help and |
          | or/doc files when one or two sentences or words and a link would do? |
          | |
          | PLUS all of those extra batch files and .dgi that could not possibly |
          | work without the programs pre-exiting on ones computer? |
          | What good is the bat or dgi stub to anyone learning how to use |
          | arachne and mucking inside the mime.cfg to see if they can figure out |
          | how this thing works when there is so much in there? |
          | |
          | Now in addition to these extra .dgi, .bat, un/archivers, arachne really |
          | ought to include a spreadsheet program, a database, the world telephone |
          | directory and all other programs any user could possibly use and be |
          | distributed in a 12 disk download in order to defeat the use of a 33.6 |
          | or 14.4 modems and especially the BASIC built in ease with which any |
          | package can LATER be added to arachne on a personal level or through |
          | the distribution of APM packages. |
          | |
          | Darn, i need to get off this soapbox 'cause someone needs it for |
          | kindling... |
          | |
          | But, having said all of that, |
          | I sincerely thank everyone who is still working on Arachne and |
          | contributing to the improvements - most of them read at freelist. |
          | |
          | Now to call the bloat police! |
          | |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 37) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 1:17:17 am (MST) |
          | |
          | reset00> |
          | Oh yeah! and while i'm on a rant. Why the hell aren't those skins and |
          | css packaged apart on disk #15? sheshhh! |
          | |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 38) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 1:21:07 am (MST) |
          | |
          | reset00> |
          | Ahhhh . . . I think i'll sleep better now... |
          | although my arthritis still hurts and i'm sar everwhere. |
          | |
          | This was Truman, on the eir, unaware |
          | Good morning, good afternoon and goodnight. |
          | |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 39) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 1:26:58 am (MST) |
          | |
          | X86> |
          | Re 36: Arachne Bloated, http://www.glennmcc.org/ray_a4/ this one is |
          | 1.20mb as opposed to http://www.glennmcc.org/a195gpl/ 1.40mb ??? |
          | |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 41) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 2:25:57 am (MST) |
          | |
          | Eric> |
          | reset00, Depending on which 193, you may have a path |
          | error in arachne.cfg which needs to be fixed. |
          | |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 42) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 2:42:42 am (MST) |
          | |
          | X86> |
          | ERIC reset00 is using 195 now, see 36 !! |
          | |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 43) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 2:46:43 am (MST) |
          | |
          | Eric> |
          | reset00, When you call Arachne bloated, it makes the hairs |
          | on the back of my neck rise, after all the hard work that has |
          | been put into giving you a useful Arachne package. It isn't |
          | perfection, but someone will help you fix any bugs you find. |
          | |
          | For FTP login bug in 193, check the cache path in arachne.cfg. |
          | |
          | 1. cache path should be: cache\ ( not .\cache\) |
          | 2. mail path should be: mail\ ( not .\mail\ ) |
          | |
          | glennmcc has since corrected this bug. |
          | |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 44) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 2:50:12 am (MST) |
          | |
          | Eric> |
          | X86, Thanks....I know....but we have to let reset00 know |
          | we're here to help him and ease his pain. :-} |
          | |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 48) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 9:51:13 am (MST) |
          | |
          | glennmcc> |
          | reset00, |
          | |
          | Why is all of that 'extra stuff' in there ???? |
          | |
          | Because many people have requested it. |
          | |
          | And since even with the addition of that stuff, it still keeps |
          | the zipped SFX installer under 1.44mb so that it still fits on a |
          | single 3.5" 1.44mb diskette...... I have yielded to those requests. |
          | |
          | However.... it is now 'at its limit' and nothing more can be added |
          | without exceeding the 1.44mb size. |
          | |
          | So, it's a good thing that v1.95;GPL is my 'final release'. |
          | |
          | ========================================================================|
          | |
          | 49) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 9:56:55 am (MST) |
          | |
          | glennmcc> |
          | Ray has ceased development of his fork. |
          | |
          | Joe seems to have 'dropped-out' of the development team. |
          | (in-fact... he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet) |
          | |
          | Werner, Bernie, Christoff, etc...etc... have all 'dropped-out' |
          | |
          | Hopefully v.195;GPL will suit your needs for quite some time to come. |
          | |
          | Because it _is_ 'the end of the line' for Arachne. |
          | |
          |=========================================================================|

          --
          Glenn
          http://www.delorie.com/listserv/mime/
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008
            Glenn McCorkle skrev:
            > | 49) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 9:56:55 am (MST) |
            > | |
            > | glennmcc> |
            > | Ray has ceased development of his fork. |
            > | |
            > | Joe seems to have 'dropped-out' of the development team. |
            > | (in-fact... he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet) |
            > | |
            > | Werner, Bernie, Christoff, etc...etc... have all 'dropped-out' |
            > | |
            > | Hopefully v.195;GPL will suit your needs for quite some time to come. |
            > | |
            > | Because it _is_ 'the end of the line' for Arachne. |
            > | |
            > |=========================================================================|

            More or less true all of it. The development list is almost dead. I
            personally have way too much to do, but I've actually had a little time
            over last week to start working with Bochs and a FreeDOS installation in
            it so I can run Arachne on my computer. Haven't gotten very far yet
            however so I have no idea how useful it will be for more than small tests.

            Why are you stopping your development efforts Glenn?

            --
            Bernhard Eriksson, Wermlandsdata
            Fryxellsgatan 2, 652 22 Karlstad
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008
              --- In ArachneDevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Eriksson <bernhard@...> wrote:

              > Glenn McCorkle skrev:
              > > | 49) Wed, Dec 03, 2008 - 9:56:55 am (MST) |
              > > | |
              > > | glennmcc> |
              > > | Ray has ceased development of his fork. |
              > > | |
              > > | Joe seems to have 'dropped-out' of the development team. |
              > > | (in-fact... he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet) |
              > > | |
              > > | Werner, Bernie, Christoff, etc...etc... have all 'dropped-out' |
              > > | |
              > > | Hopefully v.195;GPL will suit your needs for quite some time to come. |
              > > | |
              > > | Because it _is_ 'the end of the line' for Arachne. |
              > > | |
              > > |=========================================================================|
              > >

              > More or less true all of it. The development list is almost dead. I
              > personally have way too much to do, but I've actually had a little time
              > over last week to start working with Bochs and a FreeDOS installation in
              > it so I can run Arachne on my computer. Haven't gotten very far yet
              > however so I have no idea how useful it will be for more than small tests.
              >
              > Why are you stopping your development efforts Glenn?

              It has been my plan for quite some time now that v1.95 would be my last.
              I have simply been putting-off making the 'official announcement'.

              I have spent eight years now working on Arachne development.
              It is now time for me to move on.
            • Bernhard Eriksson
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008

                Glenn McCorkle skrev:

[...]

                I'm sorry to hear that. So, who will step up and continue the great work you've been doing? I would love to, but I can't see how I could get the time required. Besides, I wouldn't use it as my day-to-day browser so wouldn't notice bugs as easily. What do you other (former?) developers have to say? Who are using Arachne? Who are willing (and able) to put time and effort into working on her? Or is the sad fact that what little time we have over for such a hobby better spent on other programs with a larger userbase?
                --
                Bernhard Eriksson, Wermlandsdata
                Fryxellsgatan 2, 652 22 Karlstad
                054 - 15 69 00, http://www.wermlandsdata.se/
                Datorer, tillbehör, service, programmering mm.
              • Greg Mayman
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2008
                  On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:42:58 +0100, Bernhard Eriksson wrote:

                  > More or less true all of it. The development list is almost dead. I
                  > personally have way too much to do, but I've actually had a little time
                  > over last week to start working with Bochs and a FreeDOS installation in
                  > it so I can run Arachne on my computer. Haven't gotten very far yet
                  > however so I have no idea how useful it will be for more than small tests.

                  I have been mostly a lurker in the development list for a long time with
                  occasional postings when I saw a problem (often due to my own
                  ignorance).

                  Now I really must express my gratitude for the number of times people
                  have given me advice to hepl me out of my problems.

                  Thanks a million fellas (and L.D.) for all your efforts!

                  > Why are you stopping your development efforts Glenn?

                  Could it be that he is looking for a life outside of his computer?

                  Who, Glenn? Nah, that'll never happen..... <GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG>

                  Thanks for all your help, Glenn, and special thanks for your download
                  page where we have been able to pick up all kinds of goodies.

                  Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
                  and remember what peace there may be in silence.
                  "Desiderata", Max Ehrmann, copyright 1952.

                  ,-./\
                  / \ From Greg Mayman, in beautiful Adelaide, South Australia
                  \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 35d 01'44"S 138d 32'13"E
                • Greg Mayman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008