Re: [Apicius] Moretum - What's in a name!?!?!?

  • Radar
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2000
      Channon,

      > ...whereas I believe the accounts we
      > read from the ancients were for
      > physicians and professional cooks. They might
      > have been more assuming in this
      > case. Just my opinion.>>

      I really believe you opinion is the correct one.
      Unfortunately, I am neither a physician nor a
      professional cooks! LOL LOL LOL I suppose the
      old adage "knowledge is power" applied back then
      - even to food.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2000
        Chris,
        > > Probably the same way we from North America
        > know that "chili" involves beans.
        >
        > Chili involves beans in most areas of the
        > United States, but in Texas, it
        > is a dish made with meat only. I'm not sure
        > what it means in Mexico, which
        > is also Norht America. Which leads me to ask if
        > there might be similar
        > variations for the recipes we're
        > discussing.....>>

        My thoughts exactly!

        Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
        http://photos.yahoo.com
      • LrdRas@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 2, 2000
          In a message dated 6/2/00 10:46:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, channonm@...
          writes:

          << Probably the same way we from North America know that "chili" involves
          beans.

          Channon >>

          It does? I have several 'authentic' recipes for chili that do not include
          beans. In fact, when I lived in New Mexico, I was assured by several people
          that beans were an abomination to chili............

          Ras
        • LrdRas@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2000
            In a message dated 6/2/00 11:34:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            correus@... writes:

            << I suppose the
            old adage "knowledge is power" applied back then
            - even to food.

            Larry >>

            Romans were highly educated. The dearth of learning that we so often
            associate with past European cultures was made evident during the Dark Ages
            in the period immediately preceding the absorption of northern European
            culture by the Romans. Before then education was a legal responsibility for
            citizens much in line with modern education. Certainly various advanced types
            of knowledge was not available but the average citizen of Rome was certainly
            not in any way 'uneducated' regarding his time period.

            Ras
          • LrdRas@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 2, 2000
              In a message dated 6/2/00 11:44:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              correus@... writes:

              << Which leads me to ask if
              > there might be similar
              > variations for the recipes we're
              > discussing.....>> >>

              There might. There might not. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing. We
              only have the manuscript that has survived and that one only dating to the
              middle ages with any degree of accuracy. We also have a few descriptions of
              supposed dishes made by noncooks such as Virgil. The only path that can be
              taken to assure authenticity is to follow the closest recipe we have and
              forgo any conjecture as to what might have been, IMO.

              Ras
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 4, 2000
                We may not have textual evidence of every possible variation we may want to try, but we have enough recipes in the total corpus to know that variation did occur. I mean, think of those cases were where have more than one recipe for the same thing. I don't think a single one of them is identical. For example, we have a total of 5 recipes from Roman sources for moretum and/or moretaria that I know of, and they're all different!

                Oh, this reminds me, there's a recipe for Moretum in Aristophanes too. I'll try to post that tonight.

                -JDM

                In a message dated Fri, 2 Jun 2000 6:53:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LrdRas@... writes:

                << In a message dated 6/2/00 11:44:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

                << Which leads me to ask if

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 5, 2000
                  JDM
                  > For example,
                  > we have a total of 5 recipes from Roman sources
                  > for moretum and/or moretaria that I know of,
                  > and they're all different!>>

                  Are these the ones listed through Apicius,
                  Columella, and Virgil? If not, please share the
                  others.

                  > Oh, this reminds me, there's a recipe for
                  > Moretum in Aristophanes too. I'll try to post
                  > that tonight.>>

                  Please do.

                  Larry

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 5, 2000
                    In a message dated Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:44:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Radar <correus@...> writes:

                    << JDM
                    > For example,
                    > we have a total of 5 recipes from Roman sources
                    > for moretum and/or moretaria that I know of,
                    > and they're all different!>>

                    Are these the ones listed through Apicius,
                    Columella, and Virgil? If not, please share the
                    others. >>

                    Yeah, one in virgil, one in apicius, three in columella. Am I missing any?

                    << > Oh, this reminds me, there's a recipe for
                    > Moretum in Aristophanes too. I'll try to post
                    > that tonight.>>

                    Please do.

                    Larry

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 5, 2000
                      JDM,

                      > Are these the ones listed through Apicius,
                      > Columella, and Virgil? If not, please share
                      > the
                      > others. >>
                      >
                      > Yeah, one in virgil, one in apicius, three in
                      > columella. Am I missing any? >>

                      Okay - I have seen the one atributed to Virgil,
                      the three you sent me that Columella wrote. Now
                      where is the one Apicius wrote?

                      Larry