Ferns

  • Radar
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2000
      Greetings!

      Well....I am well into planning our Spring meal!
      Thanks to those who gave me ideas. One of the
      toasts I will propose during the meal will be for
      all of you..."To absent friends".

      Anyway, yesterday I bought a copy of "Herb
      Companion". In it was an article dealing with
      young fern shoots (I can't remember the name, but
      they are tightly coiled) and how to cook/serve
      them. It struck me as something the Romans would
      have loved. Does anyone know if the Romans ate
      any fern shoots? Are there any references to it?

      I am thinking about "Romanizing" them for this
      dinner, but if there is a recipe I would like to
      use it.

      Larry

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Gideon Nisbet
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2000
        Gideon Nisbet, DPhil (Oxon)
        Researcher in Papyrology, Faculty of Classics, Oxford
        Yamaha XJ600N Diversion
        http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/

        On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Radar wrote:

        > them. It struck me as something the Romans would
        > have loved. Does anyone know if the Romans ate
        > any fern shoots? Are there any references to it?

        A good place to look would be Andrew Dalby's book _Siren Feasts_ -- he
        uses the archeological record extensively and is well into ancient use of
        'found foods' like acorns etc.

        -Gideon