Re: [Apicius] It's Too Quiet

  • Weingarten
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 11:51 PM
      Garlic

      Here in Israel they sell garlic in the open markets by the kilo in the
      spring, still attached to about 50-75cms of stalk. People buy their four or
      five kilos (to last the whole year), plait the stalks and hang them up to
      dry. The heads are quite a bit smaller than the expensive imported ones we
      buy in the supermarket covered with white papery stuff, but the latter keep
      better. The smell of the markets at this time of the year is fantastic!
      I used to buy my one kilo a year - Is that all, lady? they asked me in the
      market - but I found it more than enough for my family of seven. I would
      hang it to dry outside my kitchen window, but now I am lazy and buy my
      garlic in jars ready cut up and preserved in olive oil. The taste is much
      milder but the flavoured oil is great.
      Note the differences in consumption of garlic - my guess is the ancients
      meant what they said!

      best
      Susan Weingarten

      http://www.dplanet.ch/users/julien.courtois/orgy/index.html