Fwd: Ingredients

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26 10:44 AM
      As promised, here is my friends list of food terms in Pahlavi ("Parthian").
      There are one or two mistakes (e.g. myrobalan is not actually food ;) ) but
      it's mostly a neat and fun list. Sorry, it contains no recipes, to my
      knowlege we have none.
      As you'll recall we were hoping to translate all the items in
      "Kark-ii-Pahlavi" (Parthian Chicken), but the only one on this list is wine.
      I've looked into it and found that the Pahlavi word for asafoetida seems to
      be unknown, but Berthold Laufer, _Sino-Iranica_, reconstructs *anguzad on the
      basis of evidence from Modern Persian languages and from one of the Chinese
      forms, which seems to have been borrowed from Pahlavi.
      Hope you enjoy the list... maybe even find some use for it?

      IVSTINIANVS

      In a message dated 3/21/00 8:14:44 PM, dsalo@... wrote:

      <<Here are some edibles:
      [Consonants as in English, except for kh which is [x]; double vowels
      represent lengthening, although in accordance with the pronunciation of the
      modern language, one might say [u:] for both oo and uu, and [i:] for both
      ee and ii, but this is historically incorrect. I have taken the liberty of
      altering the transcription by substituting v for w when it was a consonant
      (in the modern language it becomes v or b) and u for w as the final element
      in a diphthong; and likewise i for y as the final element in a diphthong.
      In the modern language final -g has disappeared.]

      afrooshag: a sweetmeat made of flour, butter, and honey
      aalum: millet
      aamiz: side dish, vegetables
      anaar: pomegranate
      anaargeel: coconut
      aard: flour
      arzan: millet

      baadag: wine, must
      baar: fruit
      beeh: quince
      bistag: hazelnut
      brinj: rice

      charbishn: fat, oil

      daan, daanag: seed, greain

      gahl: sorghum, giant millet
      gandanaag: leek
      gandum: wheat
      gaavars = gahl
      gishniiz: coriander
      gooz: walnut

      haliilag: myrobalan
      hur: an alcoholic drink, "koumiss"

      jau: barley
      joordaa: corn, grain

      kaamag: kinds of gruel, or soup
      kaar: butter
      karafs: celery
      kulaachag: small, round bun
      kurkum: saffron

      khaayag: egg
      khormaa: date

      lavzeenag: almond sweetmeat, marzipan

      marv: herb
      marzangoosh: marjoram
      maast: curds, sour milk
      maash: vetch, pulse
      mai: wine
      meevag: fruit
      mijuug: lentil
      mooz: banana

      namak: salt
      naan: bread
      nakhood: chickpea

      palang-mushk: speckled basil (lit. "leopard-musk")
      paaluudag: starch jelly, flummery
      paniir: cheese
      peem: milk
      pist: browned flour
      pistag: pistachio nut
      pondik: hazelnut

      rooghn: oil, butter
      rooghn-khwardiig: sweetmeats

      spandaan: mustard seed
      speedag: egg white
      speed-baag: curd soup

      shaah-baluut: chestnut
      shaahesprahm: basil royal
      shakar: sugar
      shabaliidag: fenugreek
      shiftaaluug: peach
      shifteenag: a sweetmeat
      shiir: milk

      urmood: pear

      vaadaam: almond
      vaadrang: citron
      vaadrang-booi: lemon-balm
      vafreenag: a sweetmeat (contains vafr "snow")
      van ii gurgaaniig: pistachio tree (lit. "arbor Hyrcana")
      vashag: a kind of beer
      veenoog: lentil

      zardag: egg yolk
      zardak: safflower
      zardaaluug: apricot
      zard-choobag: turmeric
      zait: olive

      takhl: bitter
      trush, trufsh: sour

      Cinci Turtol couldn't figure out what language this was, probably
      because he visits the wrong sort of restaurants (the words for "bread" and
      "cheese" are a dead giveaway).

      /\ WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
      \/ WRAIQS NU IST <> David Salo
      <dsalo@...> <>