Salvete!

  • Justin Mansfield
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2000
      Hello, all, long time no see.
      So I was at an Arabian restaurant today, and one of the waiters turned
      out to be a visiting restaraunt owner from out of state who volunteered
      to wait tables for a while. Oddly enough. He told me though once an
      Egyptologist ate at his restaurant and compemented him on his hummus. He
      told him that the Ancient Egyptians had had hummus and that (like this
      restaurateur) they probably used a lot of tumeric in it.
      I found this very interesting, and told him briefly of my experiences
      in ancient cuisine. But of course I've been unable to find anythign
      really on Egyptian cuisine. Too bad I didn't get to meet that
      Egyptologist myself!
      Anyway, I should have more posts to make sometime soon. A friend of
      mine sent me a list of food terms in Pahlavi (=Parthian), and I've asked
      his permission to forward it to you guys. I figure some of you should be
      interested. He suggested I translate the recipe for Parthian Chicken
      ("Kark-ii-Pahlaviig"), but of the ingredients of that dish his list
      included only chicken and wine. Darn! Well, pepper and asafoetida
      shouldn't be too hard to find. In fact, I think I already have the
      Pahlavi name for that around here somewhere.
      Also, another friend of mine, a cartoonist, said he recently drew a
      cartoon which I thought you'd like, but he hasn't scanned it. Plus, I
      probably shouldnt' post a binary here! (You can see some of his previous
      work at http://www.intergate.com/~kturtle )

      -IVSTINIANVS

      ps. To the person who requested more info on the Moretum, the original
      poem is availible on the web, though I'd be hard pressed to cite a URL
      right now. If Ms. Grainger doesn't object, I could conceivably post my
      notes on her version of the recipe... though I should call attention to
      what happened the last time I lent these notes to someone (check the
      archives if you don't know ;) )
    • rlryder@memphis.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 18, 2001
        Nww member here. I'm glad to have found a place with information
        about ancient cooking and related topics. I am a Latin teacher in
        training, and a early historical reenactor (I believe I saw someone
        mention the SCA?). Hope to be posting my own expirements with ancient
        recipes soon.

        Valete!