Saturei

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2014
      Salvete, omnes!

      What do you all use when a recipe calls for "Saturei?"

      Apicius vobiscum ~
      Correus

      CORREVS·APPIVS·IVLIANVS·APICIVS

    • Justin Mansfield

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2014
          Further information:

          • Dalby equates satureia with our Satureja thymbra "Pink savory, savory of crete, thyme-leaved savory"
          • André equates it with Satureja hortensis "summer savory," Thymus capitatus "headed savory"

          However, usually the only savory I have easily available is Winter Savory, Satureja montana, which dalby suspects is cunilago, and André does not list at all so far as I can find. Hopefully this substitution isn't too radical.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2014
            Thanks Justin!!!

            I thought it was Savory.  It was late, and I was tired, and I was too lazy to run downstairs for my books.  When I looked it up on-line I saw savory mentioned, however, I also found a lot more "Roman" recipes where they were using all sorts of substitutes - anything from celery seed &/or leaf to "I have no clue so just leave it out".

            This had me doubting what I thought was correct so thought I'd check with the group.

            Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your view, we have Winter and Summer Savory and one of them is attempting to take over!!!  ;-)

            Thanks again!