Re: [Apicius] Cardui

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2013
      Did an e-mail get mislaid?  How did we go from "Cardui" to "sfondilus", "scungilli" and "Spondylus gaederopus"?

      Last Cadiu e-mail I got said "My mother used to do a Parmigiana with them. Maybe with semi-soft cheese and a touch of Garum?" and then it went to the other.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2013
        OK, to help make sense of this:

        - I posted saying I had cardoons, and was researching them.
        - Lucia suggested a recipe
        - I said I was researching ancient recipes. There are a lot of terms for
        cardoons in Greek and Latin, and one is particularly thorny, namely *
        sfondilus*. That word has several meanings, including part of the
        cardoon, and a mollusk. When it occurs in Apicius, some editors say it
        refers to the vegetable, some to the mollusk. Therefore, I wasn't planning
        to include *sfondilus* recipes.
        - Lucia, curious about the *sfondilus* mollusk, suggests it might be the
        one called *scungilli* in Italian (so far as I can tell, in English it
        is considered a type of whelk, by the way)
        - I say that, in fact, it is supposedly *Spondylus gaederopus.*
        - Lucia posts an image of a *scungillo* for reference.

        So yes, we're kind of off topic, but what else is new? ;)

        So, to get back on topic, here's a list of my recipes (perhaps I'll give
        more details later):

        - The three recipes given in Apicius 3.19. Gozzini-Giacosa gives
        redactions of all three (though in these cases she substitutes artichokes),
        Faas gives one (and it looks pretty good, I may try it).
        - Pliny gives a recipe to preserve cardoons so you can have them all
        year round.
        - So does Theophrastus (though his is just to store it in brine)
        - Galen calls them unhealthy, but gives two ways to prepare them to
        mitigate this, one of which is fairly elaborate.

        So, that makes 7 recipes, of which 5 are at all detailed.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2013
          OK I'm eating Apicius 3.19.2, according to Faas's redaction. Not bad! If
          any of you choose to make that, here are my notes:

          - Di immortales are cardoons hard to trim!! Took forever!
          - The quantities of herbs he gives are quite large and result in a sort
          of chimichurri. Might be a good idea to reduce them at least a little.
          - 30 minutes on my stove was a little too long.
          - He forgets to list the pepper, so don't leave it out. Could also use
          some salt, I think.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2013
            One more detail, kind of silly: my girlfriend, who is not particularly
            interested in ancient food, and certainly not authenticity, said she
            thought it might be good with pasta mixed in. Turns out she was right!

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2013
              Yep, there is a Sardinian pasta dish that uses cardoons

> [...]

              >> - The three recipes given in Apicius 3.19. Gozzini-Giacosa gives
              >> redactions of all three (though in these cases she substitutes
              artichokes),
              >> Faas gives one (and it looks pretty good, I may try it).
              >> - Pliny gives a recipe to preserve cardoons so you can have them all
              >> year round.
              >> - So does Theophrastus (though his is just to store it in brine)
              >> - Galen calls them unhealthy, but gives two ways to prepare them to
              >> mitigate this, one of which is fairly elaborate.
              >>
              >> So, that makes 7 recipes, of which 5 are at all detailed.
              >>

              >> On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Correus <correus@...> wrote:
              >>

              >>> Did an e-mail get mislaid? How did we go from "Cardui" to "sfondilus",
              >>> "scungilli" and "Spondylus gaederopus"?
              >>>
              >>> Last Cadiu e-mail I got said "My mother used to do a Parmigiana with
              >>> them. Maybe with semi-soft cheese and a touch of Garum?" and then it

            • wimb3612
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 14, 2014

                Hi,

                     I have been struggling with Sponduli for quite some time. It appears in Diocletian's price edict as Sponduli marini ( list 5.10), which is translated as mussels  by both Graser into English and Giacchero into Italian. That doesn't make much sense , as there are better and more commonly used  Latin words for mussels, but otherwise the absence of mussels from the edict seems weird. I have a suspicion the translations are wrong, as  lots of  other relatively well known Roman seafood, such as shrimp, eel and individually identified fish species also don't make it into the edict.

                The word Sponduli then appears four lines later in the edict   near the start of the vegetables (list 6.2), translated by bothGraser and Giacchero as hearts of artichoke. Even the Romans got mixed up about their sponduli, as one of the fragments that has survived, at Sandikli in modern Turkey skips the 3 lines in between the two sponduli entries and goes straight from the  seafood sponduli to the entry after the vegetable sponduli, missing  the  products in between ( Cheese, sardines, large artichokes and the second sponduli entry) so someone, either the carver or the writer of the document the carver was working from got his Sponduli mixed up.

                Can anyone help  enlighten me as to how the seafood sponduli should be translated in the edict?

                thanks,

                howard posner

              • Justin Mansfield
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 14, 2014
                  As I wrote earlier in this thread

                  According to Andrew Dalby it's Spondylus gaederopus, the Spiny European Oyster.

                   For more info on this creature, see its wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondylus_gaederopus