Re: [Apicius] portable water heating

  • richard robinson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
      Thanks Pavel
      but no that is not the one I was attempting to locate.
      The one I 'had' a picture of was on a rectangular base with a firebox that was contained by a U shaped hollow metal wall that absorbed the heat.Beneath the rectangular base ( I think) was a draw for removing ash-I may be making that up.....
      The urn itself is next to the firebox and is similar to the one you posted, however it had a tap. I am looking for my copy of AD79- the Pompeii exhibit book from the 1970s(?). I am sure there was a pic in it.

      regards
      Richard

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
        I have a pic of it. Give me a day or so.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
          Okay - I found the picture I think your after.  It is in my copy of the AD79 Pompeii book from 1978 vol.II.  It was found in a villa near Stabiae.

          I do have another photo of one that's similar in shape but a lot fancier - a LOT fancier.  Example - the tops of the coal tray are crenelated and there are more reliefs.  I have not been able to figure which book that ones in though!

          Here is a link to the album in the group's photo section.  You'll find the pic from the exhibit book as well as a drawing from a different angle.

          Vale ~

          Correus

          Sorry, it seems Yahoo removes the attachments sent by email. I
          uploaded the photo to my Roman project site:

          http://www.romaiv.com/community/42-pavel-kalinov/photos/photo.html?albumid=9#photoid=34

          --
          Best regards,
          Pavel
          http://www.pavka.com.au/ - personal site
          http://www.romaiv.com/ - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?

          Quoting richardrobinson <helmetwise@...>:

          > thanks pavel
          > that message had no attachment that i could see
          >

          > ________________________________

        • richard robinson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
            THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            I would also love to see the other as I am not sure I have ever seen it-but certainly at your leasure!!

            Appreciatively,
            Richard

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
              Glad to be of service.  I'll see if I can find the other - I could have sworn it was in a book on Roman life but it wasn't in it.  What really sucks is I can see it in my mind!!!  This one was able to keep water/wine warm and had a spigot on it.  It also had a section to keep food warm.  I don't think it as found in either P or H.

              Cheers!