Re: [Apicius] portable water heating

  • Pavel Kalinov
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2013
      Do you mean this one? I have no idea where I copied it from, though :-(

      --
      Best regards,
      Pavel

      Quoting richard robinson <helmetwise@...>:

      > ave amici
      >
      > I was trying to convey to a metal working friend the water/wine
      > heater that I almost had made for me. It is the one from Pompeii
      > (?)that has the clever firebox on one side and the decorated bronze
      > urn on the other and a tray(? if my recollection is accurate) all
      > built on a rectangular base with 4 animistic feet.
      >  I was sure I had a copy on my external but it is not to be found or
      > googled ( I have wasted several hours today).
      > Does anybody have a copy of the artefact I speak of? Did anybody
      > else notice that there was one in the film "Gladiator" when they
      > make their way through the crowds on the outside columns of the
      > Colloseum?
      >
      > regards Richard

    • Pavel Kalinov
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
        Sorry, it seems Yahoo removes the attachments sent by email. I
        uploaded the photo to my Roman project site:

        http://www.romaiv.com/community/42-pavel-kalinov/photos/photo.html?albumid=9#photoid=34

        --
        Best regards,
        Pavel
        http://www.pavka.com.au/ - personal site
        http://www.romaiv.com/ - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?

        Quoting richard robinson <helmetwise@...>:

        > thanks pavel
        > that message had no attachment that i could see
        >

        > ________________________________

      • richard robinson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
          Thanks Pavel
          but no that is not the one I was attempting to locate.
          The one I 'had' a picture of was on a rectangular base with a firebox that was contained by a U shaped hollow metal wall that absorbed the heat.Beneath the rectangular base ( I think) was a draw for removing ash-I may be making that up.....
          The urn itself is next to the firebox and is similar to the one you posted, however it had a tap. I am looking for my copy of AD79- the Pompeii exhibit book from the 1970s(?). I am sure there was a pic in it.

          regards
          Richard

          ________________________________
          Sorry, it seems Yahoo removes the attachments sent by email. I
          uploaded the photo to my Roman project site:

          http://www.romaiv.com/community/42-pavel-kalinov/photos/photo.html?albumid=9#photoid=34

          --
          Best regards,
          Pavel
          http://www.pavka.com.au/ - personal site
          http://www.romaiv.com/ - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?

          Quoting richard robinson <helmetwise@...>:

          > thanks pavel
          > that message had no attachment that i could see
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Larry Simpson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
            I have a pic of it. Give me a day or so.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
              Okay - I found the picture I think your after.  It is in my copy of the AD79 Pompeii book from 1978 vol.II.  It was found in a villa near Stabiae.

              I do have another photo of one that's similar in shape but a lot fancier - a LOT fancier.  Example - the tops of the coal tray are crenelated and there are more reliefs.  I have not been able to figure which book that ones in though!

              Here is a link to the album in the group's photo section.  You'll find the pic from the exhibit book as well as a drawing from a different angle.

              Vale ~

              Correus

              Sorry, it seems Yahoo removes the attachments sent by email. I
              uploaded the photo to my Roman project site:

              http://www.romaiv.com/community/42-pavel-kalinov/photos/photo.html?albumid=9#photoid=34

              --
              Best regards,
              Pavel
              http://www.pavka.com.au/ - personal site
              http://www.romaiv.com/ - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?

              Quoting richardrobinson <helmetwise@...>:

              > thanks pavel
              > that message had no attachment that i could see
              >

              > ________________________________

            • richard robinson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
                THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                I would also love to see the other as I am not sure I have ever seen it-but certainly at your leasure!!

                Appreciatively,
                Richard

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
                  Glad to be of service.  I'll see if I can find the other - I could have sworn it was in a book on Roman life but it wasn't in it.  What really sucks is I can see it in my mind!!!  This one was able to keep water/wine warm and had a spigot on it.  It also had a section to keep food warm.  I don't think it as found in either P or H.

                  Cheers!