portable water heating

  • richard robinson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2013
      ave amici

      I was trying to convey to a metal working friend the water/wine heater that I almost had made for me. It is the one from Pompeii (?)that has the clever firebox on one side and the decorated bronze urn on the other and a tray(? if my recollection is accurate) all built on a rectangular base with 4 animistic feet.
       I was sure I had a copy on my external but it is not to be found or googled ( I have wasted several hours today).
      Does anybody have a copy of the artefact I speak of? Did anybody else notice that there was one in the film "Gladiator" when they make their way through the crowds on the outside columns of the Colloseum?

      regards Richard

    • Pavel Kalinov
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2013
        Do you mean this one? I have no idea where I copied it from, though :-(

        --
        Best regards,
        Pavel

        Quoting richard robinson <helmetwise@...>:

        > ave amici
        >
        > I was trying to convey to a metal working friend the water/wine
        > heater that I almost had made for me. It is the one from Pompeii
        > (?)that has the clever firebox on one side and the decorated bronze
        > urn on the other and a tray(? if my recollection is accurate) all
        > built on a rectangular base with 4 animistic feet.
        >  I was sure I had a copy on my external but it is not to be found or
        > googled ( I have wasted several hours today).
        > Does anybody have a copy of the artefact I speak of? Did anybody
        > else notice that there was one in the film "Gladiator" when they
        > make their way through the crowds on the outside columns of the
        > Colloseum?
        >
        > regards Richard

      • Pavel Kalinov
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
          Sorry, it seems Yahoo removes the attachments sent by email. I
          uploaded the photo to my Roman project site:

          http://www.romaiv.com/community/42-pavel-kalinov/photos/photo.html?albumid=9#photoid=34

          --
          Best regards,
          Pavel
          http://www.pavka.com.au/ - personal site
          http://www.romaiv.com/ - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?

          Quoting richard robinson <helmetwise@...>:

          > thanks pavel
          > that message had no attachment that i could see
          >

          > ________________________________

        • richard robinson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
            Thanks Pavel
            but no that is not the one I was attempting to locate.
            The one I 'had' a picture of was on a rectangular base with a firebox that was contained by a U shaped hollow metal wall that absorbed the heat.Beneath the rectangular base ( I think) was a draw for removing ash-I may be making that up.....
            The urn itself is next to the firebox and is similar to the one you posted, however it had a tap. I am looking for my copy of AD79- the Pompeii exhibit book from the 1970s(?). I am sure there was a pic in it.

            regards
            Richard

            ________________________________
            Sorry, it seems Yahoo removes the attachments sent by email. I
            uploaded the photo to my Roman project site:

            http://www.romaiv.com/community/42-pavel-kalinov/photos/photo.html?albumid=9#photoid=34

            --
            Best regards,
            Pavel
            http://www.pavka.com.au/ - personal site
            http://www.romaiv.com/ - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?

            Quoting richard robinson <helmetwise@...>:

            > thanks pavel
            > that message had no attachment that i could see
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Larry Simpson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2013
              I have a pic of it. Give me a day or so.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
                Okay - I found the picture I think your after.  It is in my copy of the AD79 Pompeii book from 1978 vol.II.  It was found in a villa near Stabiae.

                I do have another photo of one that's similar in shape but a lot fancier - a LOT fancier.  Example - the tops of the coal tray are crenelated and there are more reliefs.  I have not been able to figure which book that ones in though!

                Here is a link to the album in the group's photo section.  You'll find the pic from the exhibit book as well as a drawing from a different angle.

                Vale ~

                Correus

                Sorry, it seems Yahoo removes the attachments sent by email. I
                uploaded the photo to my Roman project site:

                http://www.romaiv.com/community/42-pavel-kalinov/photos/photo.html?albumid=9#photoid=34

                --
                Best regards,
                Pavel
                http://www.pavka.com.au/ - personal site
                http://www.romaiv.com/ - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?

                Quoting richardrobinson <helmetwise@...>:

                > thanks pavel
                > that message had no attachment that i could see
                >

                > ________________________________

              • richard robinson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
                  THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I would also love to see the other as I am not sure I have ever seen it-but certainly at your leasure!!

                  Appreciatively,
                  Richard

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
                    Glad to be of service.  I'll see if I can find the other - I could have sworn it was in a book on Roman life but it wasn't in it.  What really sucks is I can see it in my mind!!!  This one was able to keep water/wine warm and had a spigot on it.  It also had a section to keep food warm.  I don't think it as found in either P or H.

                    Cheers!