Re: La Cloche Round Bread Cloche

  • Mercy Neumark
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
      The price isn't actually that bad. As a potter, I have sold actual roman based bread baking cloche for $75 to $100 dollars. That one, however, may not survive a real fire or the riggers of war/coal cooking. It's mostly for ovens.

      As far as using a flower pot...that would work great in an oven. Alton Brown has demoed this. I've also seen people use them in hearth cooking but it was pretty awkward. They had to use some sort of metal screw device as a handle. But you can't beat the price.

      --Mercy

      Sent from my iPhone
      Please excuse any typos or odd autocorrection errors
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
        I have a hole collection of Römertopf, and  Römertopf type, clay pots (yes - we have Römertopf here in the US).  My absolute favorite clay pot cooker came from Germany - it's a wild boar!!!  My favorite legion is the Legio XX Valeria Victrix and the wild boar is their symbol.  The wild boar cooker was made pre-WWII and was a wedding present to a German couple.  They never used it and had it packed away all these years.  I was able to buy it from them in 2007.  A member of this group picked it up from the couple and shipped it to me.  Turns out they shared the same bank IIRC.  I have had a LOT of people try to buy it from me, especially reenactors who belong to the groups that portray the Legio XX Valeria Victrix.  I have also had collectors try to buy it because they've never seen another like it.  I know there has got to be others like it out there but I haven't found them.  You can go here and see pics of it:

        As to the Cloche type...  I have one that is a little smaller than this one and it came from a company called 'Pampered Chef'.  IIRC the one I have cost about $100 but is no longer made.  I've used it a lot as well.  You can see it here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Apicius/photos/album/296442012/pic/list

        I would LOVE to have an Ancient Roman version though - especially like the one Sally G. has!!!!

        Vale ~

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
          Mercy - do you have a web site?  I'm interested in trying to get a testum but am in no real hurry.  I found a company that made them but can't seem to find the link.  I know they were selling them for almost $200!!!!!

          Anyway - I've used flower pot ware in the past but it's just not the same as having the Roman repro items.  For me the issue isn't the actual cost of the item it's the shipping.  It's either really high or the maker won't ship (at least the ones in Europe).  One of these days I hope to have some repro Roman tableware and cookware.

          Vale ~

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2013
            I have one of Mercy's beautiful cloch oven thingies that she gave me. I haven't used it yet, but I hope to at the cooks play date this summer.

            Donna

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2013
              Here is my current website:

              http://www.etsy.com/people/mercyneumark

              I have a lot of photos (out of the kiln stuff...not fancy shots) on my Facebook page. If you would like that link, feel free to email me. I'm on my iPhone right now and can't seem to grab that link.

              I'm a little behind in adding current stuff. I actually have about five or more roman bowls and serving platters that need to get shot and uploaded. I also have a few roman drinking vessels (well I believe they are for drinking, they could be tall bowls) that should go up.

              I'm actually working on some Byzantine pieces as well currently. Probably in a few weeks there will be a big update. But if you want a commission, I'm open to that as well. Feel free to reach out via email.