RE: [Apicius] Pear patina

    Message 1 of 18 , May 29, 2013
      Well, it seems that Bosc and Anjou are best for cooking. Just google "best
      pears for cooking" In my orchard in Umbria when I was a child, we had a
      Bosc pear tree, and we only ate the pears baked. In a wood burning
      oven...but now I am bragging, sorry

      Those are the kind that will hold their firm flesh best

      Avete

      Lucia

      _____

      Message 2 of 18 , May 29, 2013
        WHY would you leave a place like Umbria!?!?!?!    I knew you ere there as a child and have often wondered.

        > My wife was heading toward the flagship Eataly store and she was asking me
        "What
        > kind of pears should I get?" And I said, any decent looking ordinary
        looking
        > pears. And she got some good looking ordinary looking pears. So I am
        afraid I
        > don't know what the exact variety is. :-( They looked like pears. :-(

        Pears don't look one way.

        Pears can have cool green skin, yellow-green with rosy-blush areas, yellow
        skin, rose pink skin, rough tan skin with a yellow-green undercolor. What
        color were yours? Here are two pages with photos of a few types:
        http://www.fruitsinfo.com/pears.htm
        and
        http://www.usapears.com/Recipes%20And%20Lifestyle/Now%20Serving/Pears%20and%
        20Varieties.aspx
        (this link will probably wrap - you can go to http://www.usapears.com/ ,
        select "Recipes and Lifestyle" from drop down menu, then under "Now Serving"
        select "Pear Varieties")

        Pears can have a variety of shapes - while they are usually larger on the
        blossom end than on the stem end, some are longer, some rounder, some almost
        oval, some shaped like apples. Pears of one of my favorite varieties are
        almost flat circles, crisp, and sweet, and not good cooked.

        I grew up in the American Midwest and when i moved to California i was
        astonished at the enormous variety of fruits and vegetables available - as a
        kid i'd only seen one or two types of plums and two or three types of pears
        and one or two kinds of lettuce.

        Anahita

      • anahita_al_shazhiyya
        Message 3 of 18 , May 29, 2013
          Correus wrote:
          > What REALLY sucks is knowing it's all out there and I can't get it. Just think of
          > all the wonderfulfoodstufs we could have if it weren't for some of our food import
          > laws.

          I dunno 'bout that...

          I live in California and this state grows amazing stuff, some only available locally in season. And my local Berkeley Bowl (yeah, i live in Berkeley) has astonishing produce. Plus we have regular farmers' markets in a different neighborhood each day of the week. And we have so many different ethnic groups, i can get *almost* anything...

          As for food import laws, some actually protect our health (there's some "Mexican vanilla extract" that does not include vanilla...), some actually protect our agriculture from devastating invasive pests (and as a Californian, i REALLY do appreciate that), and, yeah, some just protect industries with clout.

          Maybe some day you could take a road trip with a cooler to California and pick up some stuff here and bring it home to experiment with - probably can't get a rolling bag full of fresh produce onto an airplane :-)

          There's a lot available via mail order. It's also possible that some of us in bigger cities could mail you some hard-to-find ingredients - although not fresh produce.

          Anahita
          Message 4 of 18 , May 29, 2013
            Don't get me wrong...I do understand the need for some of the food laws - and agree with most of them - especially when it comes to agriculture.

            Some of the laws I wish could be changed deal more with items like sausage, lardo, cheese etc that aren't allowed in.  Some things just taste better without all the additives and such.

            ________________________________
            > What REALLY sucks is knowing it's all out there and I can't get it. Just think of
            > all the wonderfulfoodstufs we could have if it weren't for some of our food import
            > laws.

            I dunno 'bout that...

            I live in California and this state grows amazing stuff, some only available locally in season. And my local Berkeley Bowl (yeah, i live in Berkeley) has astonishing produce. Plus we have regular farmers' markets in a different neighborhood each day of the week. And we have so many different ethnic groups, i can get *almost* anything...

            As for food import laws, some actually protect our health (there's some "Mexican vanilla extract" that does not include vanilla...), some actually protect our agriculture from devastating invasive pests (and as a Californian, i REALLY do appreciate that), and, yeah, some just protect industries with clout.

            Maybe some day you could take a road trip with a cooler to California and pick up some stuff here and bring it home to experiment with - probably can't get a rolling bag full of fresh produce onto an airplane :-)

            There's a lot available via mail order. It's also possible that some of us in bigger cities could mail you some hard-to-find ingredients - although not fresh produce.

            Anahita

          • Ross
            Message 5 of 18 , May 29, 2013
              Wow... I knew about all of the different varieties of apples but had no idea of so many different kinds of pears.

              Ours would have been "yellow-green with rosy-blush areas". Actually they looked like this:

              http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Pears.jpg

              The caption underneath the picture said "European Pear" and this is what we're used to seeing in the New York area, hence my description.

              They were still rather firm when I poached them by the way (should have mentioned that earlier) with white or just off-white flesh.
            • anahita_al_shazhiyya
              Message 6 of 18 , May 29, 2013
                Correus wrote:
                > Don't get me wrong...I do understand the need for some of the food laws - and
                > agree with most of them - especially when it comes to agriculture.
                >
                > Some of the laws I wish could be changed deal more with items like sausage, lardo,
                > cheese etc that aren't allowed in. Some things just taste better without all the
                > additives and such.

                We've got a whole passel of folks around here who make their own cheeses - including aged cheeses - and make their own preserved meats - The Saluminati ;-P I think at least one friend is using a slightly altered dorm fridge as her cheese aging "cave". Most of them live in The City (that's San Francisco), so they're doing it in flats and apartments.

                Ken Albala has a Facebook page for preserved foods, and i know there are some books out there (i could probably get you some titles). Maybe you could look into some of that.

                Anahita
                Message 7 of 18 , May 30, 2013
                  I ask myself the same question, often! It's just that life took me away. I
                  lived around Rome and eventually in the city, but we always spent part of
                  the summer and fall in Umbria, my father's place of origin. I always go back
                  there when I visit Italy. Just to hear the talk and smell the smells (and
                  taste the food) it is good for my soul. I try to recreate what I can where I
                  live now, like planting red roses under my windows, keeping the laurel and
                  the fig trees and the herb garden, baking the bread the old fashion
                  way...anything that reminds me of that enchanted place

                  Ciao

                  Lucia

                  _____

                  From: Apicius@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Apicius%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > My wife was heading toward the flagship Eataly store and she was asking me
                  "What
                  > kind of pears should I get?" And I said, any decent looking ordinary
                  looking
                  > pears. And she got some good looking ordinary looking pears. So I am
                  afraid I
                  > don't know what the exact variety is. :-( They looked like pears. :-(

                  Pears don't look one way.

                  Pears can have cool green skin, yellow-green with rosy-blush areas, yellow
                  skin, rose pink skin, rough tan skin with a yellow-green undercolor. What
                  color were yours? Here are two pages with photos of a few types:
                  http://www.fruitsinfo.com/pears.htm
                  and
                  http://www.usapears.com/Recipes%20And%20Lifestyle/Now%20Serving/Pears%20and%
                  <http://www.usapears.com/Recipes%20And%20Lifestyle/Now%20Serving/Pears%20and