Re: [Apicius] Pear patina

  • anahita_al_shazhiyya
    Message 1 of 18 , May 29, 2013
      First, sorry about that errant post, i hit some key on my keyboard and it sent an unedited message i was going to reply to.

      What i meant to send:

      I wrote:
      > I grew up in the American Midwest and when i moved to California i was
      > astonished at the enormous variety of fruits and vegetables available -
      > as a kid i'd only seen one or two types of plums and two or three types
      > of pears and one or two kinds of lettuce.

      Correus replied:
      > Welcome to my world.........

      Yeah, that's why i wrote that. I understand it can be difficult to find more than a limited variety of many things in some places, or nothing at all.

      Anahita
      Message 2 of 18 , May 29, 2013
        I kindda figured....

        What REALLY sucks is knowing it's all out there and I can't get it.  Just think of all the wonderfulfoodstufs we could have if it weren't for some of our food import laws.

        Message 3 of 18 , May 29, 2013
          Well, it seems that Bosc and Anjou are best for cooking. Just google "best
          pears for cooking" In my orchard in Umbria when I was a child, we had a
          Bosc pear tree, and we only ate the pears baked. In a wood burning
          oven...but now I am bragging, sorry

          Those are the kind that will hold their firm flesh best

          Avete

          Lucia

          _____

          Message 4 of 18 , May 29, 2013
            WHY would you leave a place like Umbria!?!?!?!    I knew you ere there as a child and have often wondered.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 29, 2013
              Correus wrote:
              > What REALLY sucks is knowing it's all out there and I can't get it. Just think of
              > all the wonderfulfoodstufs we could have if it weren't for some of our food import
              > laws.

              I dunno 'bout that...

              I live in California and this state grows amazing stuff, some only available locally in season. And my local Berkeley Bowl (yeah, i live in Berkeley) has astonishing produce. Plus we have regular farmers' markets in a different neighborhood each day of the week. And we have so many different ethnic groups, i can get *almost* anything...

              As for food import laws, some actually protect our health (there's some "Mexican vanilla extract" that does not include vanilla...), some actually protect our agriculture from devastating invasive pests (and as a Californian, i REALLY do appreciate that), and, yeah, some just protect industries with clout.

              Maybe some day you could take a road trip with a cooler to California and pick up some stuff here and bring it home to experiment with - probably can't get a rolling bag full of fresh produce onto an airplane :-)

              There's a lot available via mail order. It's also possible that some of us in bigger cities could mail you some hard-to-find ingredients - although not fresh produce.

              Anahita
              Message 6 of 18 , May 29, 2013
                Don't get me wrong...I do understand the need for some of the food laws - and agree with most of them - especially when it comes to agriculture.

                Some of the laws I wish could be changed deal more with items like sausage, lardo, cheese etc that aren't allowed in.  Some things just taste better without all the additives and such.

                ________________________________
                > What REALLY sucks is knowing it's all out there and I can't get it. Just think of
                > all the wonderfulfoodstufs we could have if it weren't for some of our food import
                > laws.

                I dunno 'bout that...

                I live in California and this state grows amazing stuff, some only available locally in season. And my local Berkeley Bowl (yeah, i live in Berkeley) has astonishing produce. Plus we have regular farmers' markets in a different neighborhood each day of the week. And we have so many different ethnic groups, i can get *almost* anything...

                As for food import laws, some actually protect our health (there's some "Mexican vanilla extract" that does not include vanilla...), some actually protect our agriculture from devastating invasive pests (and as a Californian, i REALLY do appreciate that), and, yeah, some just protect industries with clout.

                Maybe some day you could take a road trip with a cooler to California and pick up some stuff here and bring it home to experiment with - probably can't get a rolling bag full of fresh produce onto an airplane :-)

                There's a lot available via mail order. It's also possible that some of us in bigger cities could mail you some hard-to-find ingredients - although not fresh produce.

                Anahita

              • Ross
                Message 7 of 18 , May 29, 2013
                  Wow... I knew about all of the different varieties of apples but had no idea of so many different kinds of pears.

                  Ours would have been "yellow-green with rosy-blush areas". Actually they looked like this:

                  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Pears.jpg

                  The caption underneath the picture said "European Pear" and this is what we're used to seeing in the New York area, hence my description.

                  They were still rather firm when I poached them by the way (should have mentioned that earlier) with white or just off-white flesh.
                • anahita_al_shazhiyya
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 29, 2013
                    Correus wrote:
                    > Don't get me wrong...I do understand the need for some of the food laws - and
                    > agree with most of them - especially when it comes to agriculture.
                    >
                    > Some of the laws I wish could be changed deal more with items like sausage, lardo,
                    > cheese etc that aren't allowed in. Some things just taste better without all the
                    > additives and such.

                    We've got a whole passel of folks around here who make their own cheeses - including aged cheeses - and make their own preserved meats - The Saluminati ;-P I think at least one friend is using a slightly altered dorm fridge as her cheese aging "cave". Most of them live in The City (that's San Francisco), so they're doing it in flats and apartments.

                    Ken Albala has a Facebook page for preserved foods, and i know there are some books out there (i could probably get you some titles). Maybe you could look into some of that.

                    Anahita
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 30, 2013
                      I ask myself the same question, often! It's just that life took me away. I
                      lived around Rome and eventually in the city, but we always spent part of
                      the summer and fall in Umbria, my father's place of origin. I always go back
                      there when I visit Italy. Just to hear the talk and smell the smells (and
                      taste the food) it is good for my soul. I try to recreate what I can where I
                      live now, like planting red roses under my windows, keeping the laurel and
                      the fig trees and the herb garden, baking the bread the old fashion
                      way...anything that reminds me of that enchanted place

                      Ciao

                      Lucia

                      _____

                      From: Apicius@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Apicius%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > My wife was heading toward the flagship Eataly store and she was asking me
                      "What
                      > kind of pears should I get?" And I said, any decent looking ordinary
                      looking
                      > pears. And she got some good looking ordinary looking pears. So I am
                      afraid I
                      > don't know what the exact variety is. :-( They looked like pears. :-(

                      Pears don't look one way.

                      Pears can have cool green skin, yellow-green with rosy-blush areas, yellow
                      skin, rose pink skin, rough tan skin with a yellow-green undercolor. What
                      color were yours? Here are two pages with photos of a few types:
                      http://www.fruitsinfo.com/pears.htm
                      and
                      http://www.usapears.com/Recipes%20And%20Lifestyle/Now%20Serving/Pears%20and%
                      <http://www.usapears.com/Recipes%20And%20Lifestyle/Now%20Serving/Pears%20and