Re: Dried Laurel and Myrtle Berries

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 12:36 PM
      Thanks Lori, now I see it on the CHoNC list ... I didn't sign up for it because I'm booked that day. Have a marvelous time.

      Donna

      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Lori Tishgart <ltishgart@...> wrote:

      > Hi Donna!
      > The event is not listed on the official CHoNC site, but an annual gathering and members are
      > invited.  There are 30 people attending and space filled up immediately.  If you interested in attending, why don't you contact  Andrew Sigal or Erica Peters at CHoNC to see if there is space available?  It is being held in the East Bay on May 18th.  Thanks so much for your input.  Take care, Lori
    • Heather Rose Jones
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6 6:14 PM
        On May 6, 2013, at 12:34 PM, Lucia Clark wrote:

        > I have had a good success with a laurel plant that I keep in a big vase, I
        > started it over 15 years ago when it was a twig a foot long, and it is now a
        > small tree about 5 feet tall. I transplanted it into increasingly bigger
        > tubs over the years, Since I live in Massachusetts I bring it in the sun rum
        > in the winter, and bring it back out in the spring. In California you
        > should be able to plant it directly outside if you have the space, but in
        > any case you can find dried laurel in any spice shop. As for myrtle berries,
        > you can find both berries and plants online

        As a data point: I live in the San Francisco area and grew a culinary laurel (Laurus nobilis) in my yard for about 20 years. (The tree is presumably still there but I moved and have had to start a new one.) It grew to one and a half stories tall but although there were flowers I never saw anything resembling berries. I don't know whether it needs a second tree as a pollinator or simply wasn't entirely happy with the location or what, but even having a flourishing tree doesn't guarantee berries.

        Heather
      • Lori Tishgart
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7 11:48 AM
          Hi Everyone,That is so interesting.  I am inspired now and going to get a laurel nobilus of my own!  My previous house Marin County had several California Bay trees living on the banks of a creek in my back yard.  I do recall that they were full of dark blue berries in late summer that were around the size of small black olives. I often used the leaves to cook with but never the berries.  There were plenty of bays ( maybe enough for pollination) and moisture from the creek.
          Does anyone know it the berries on California Bay berries are usable?  We certainly have vast swathes of bay tree forests here to pick berries from.
          Lori