Re: [Apicius] Dried Laurel and Myrtle Berries

  • Lori Tishgart
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6 12:10 PM
      Thank you so very much!  This is wonderful, and you are right, the price for authenticity is not cheap.  Thank you so much again!  Lori

      Message 2 of 9 , May 6 12:34 PM
        I have had a good success with a laurel plant that I keep in a big vase, I
        started it over 15 years ago when it was a twig a foot long, and it is now a
        small tree about 5 feet tall. I transplanted it into increasingly bigger
        tubs over the years, Since I live in Massachusetts I bring it in the sun rum
        in the winter, and bring it back out in the spring. In California you
        should be able to plant it directly outside if you have the space, but in
        any case you can find dried laurel in any spice shop. As for myrtle berries,
        you can find both berries and plants online

        Lucia

        _____

        That sounds interesting ... I haven't seen anything about this on the CHoNC
        list ... when and where?

        Do you want California Bay Laurel or European Laurel? The local Bay Laurel
        is easy to find fresh and can then be tried.

        Donna

        --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Apicius%40yahoogroups.com> , "LoriT"
        <ltishgart@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone!
        > Some of us here in the San Francisco Bay Area are planning an event (in
        conjunction with the Culinary Historians of Northern California) and getting
        set to prepare a Roman feast in a couple of weeks. I have been at the
        computer all day looking for dried Laurel and Myrtle berries and can't find
        them anywhere to purchase!

        > Does anybody know a source?
        >
        > And while I am at it, does anyone have a source for lovage seeds in large
        enough quantities to cook with?

        > Thank you so much in advance for your help, Lori

      • Donna
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6 12:36 PM
          Thanks Lori, now I see it on the CHoNC list ... I didn't sign up for it because I'm booked that day. Have a marvelous time.

          Donna

          --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Lori Tishgart <ltishgart@...> wrote:

          > Hi Donna!
          > The event is not listed on the official CHoNC site, but an annual gathering and members are
          > invited.  There are 30 people attending and space filled up immediately.  If you interested in attending, why don't you contact  Andrew Sigal or Erica Peters at CHoNC to see if there is space available?  It is being held in the East Bay on May 18th.  Thanks so much for your input.  Take care, Lori
        • Heather Rose Jones
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6 6:14 PM
            On May 6, 2013, at 12:34 PM, Lucia Clark wrote:

            > I have had a good success with a laurel plant that I keep in a big vase, I
            > started it over 15 years ago when it was a twig a foot long, and it is now a
            > small tree about 5 feet tall. I transplanted it into increasingly bigger
            > tubs over the years, Since I live in Massachusetts I bring it in the sun rum
            > in the winter, and bring it back out in the spring. In California you
            > should be able to plant it directly outside if you have the space, but in
            > any case you can find dried laurel in any spice shop. As for myrtle berries,
            > you can find both berries and plants online

            As a data point: I live in the San Francisco area and grew a culinary laurel (Laurus nobilis) in my yard for about 20 years. (The tree is presumably still there but I moved and have had to start a new one.) It grew to one and a half stories tall but although there were flowers I never saw anything resembling berries. I don't know whether it needs a second tree as a pollinator or simply wasn't entirely happy with the location or what, but even having a flourishing tree doesn't guarantee berries.

            Heather
          • Lori Tishgart
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7 11:48 AM
              Hi Everyone,That is so interesting.  I am inspired now and going to get a laurel nobilus of my own!  My previous house Marin County had several California Bay trees living on the banks of a creek in my back yard.  I do recall that they were full of dark blue berries in late summer that were around the size of small black olives. I often used the leaves to cook with but never the berries.  There were plenty of bays ( maybe enough for pollination) and moisture from the creek.
              Does anyone know it the berries on California Bay berries are usable?  We certainly have vast swathes of bay tree forests here to pick berries from.
              Lori