Re: [Apicius] Sources for obscure herbs and spices? (In New York or by mail order to USA)

  • Cristal Delamer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
      Greetings,

      According to Amazon you can purchase lovage (Levisticum officinale) from
      Amazon online. They also sell lovage leaves. Were you hoping to grow it
      yourself?
      I can get Rue seeds in my local Middle Eastern market. You'll find them on
      the spice aisle, but last year I found a seedling plant at a nursery and
      planted it in my little garden. It took off like crazy and has now pretty
      much taken over the garden. It is VERY aromatic (read: stinky) so be
      careful when handling it. It can also cause allergic reaction in many
      people just from touching it.

      Let me know if you can't find the rue seeds or a plant and I can send you
      some. I have an unopened packet in my pantry :)

      pax
      Cristal / Claudia

      --
      ~Cristal

      *domum coquus est numquam esurientem amicitiae*
      ~A cook's home is never hungry for friendship~

    • Ross
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2013
        Thanks for the suggestions. I did find (through Pass the Garum, concerning which an Apicius member wrote just two weeks ago) a place called Mountain Rose Herbs which seems to sell dried rue.

        I haven't had luck finding whole or ground lovage seed though (not counting seed packets which may not be edible). This seems quite strange as ground lovage seed is reportedly widely available, at least as a kind of blend (lovage seed and/or celery seed plus a lot of salt) as "Celery Salt". I suppose if I get desperate I can just adjust the recipes and use that...

        I checked out Auntie Arwen's but she seems to sell only blends... some of which have some uncommon ingredients. :-(