Re: [Apicius] Sources for obscure herbs and spices? (In New York or by mail order to USA)

  • Justin Mansfield
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
      It's a problem: you used to be able to get lovage seeds in an edible state
      from Richters, but they've discontinued it (they still sell seeds for
      planting, but they may not be safe to eat, due to fungicides and the like)

      As for dried rue, I guess I've seen it at a Greek herbal magic place in
      Chicago... possibly a Mexican one as well. But to be honest it's not very
      good dry. Oh, I guess Richters sells the herb dry as well (
      http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X5050&show=all&prodclass=&cart_id=8025552.23619)
      �do note though that they can't ship the a living rue plant to the US, so I
      can't guarantee they can send it to you dry either.

      On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Ross <telamonian_teukros@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Salve! I have been interested in Roman cooking for a couple of years. Last
      > year I organized a Roman inspired feast, this year I want to be more
      > authentic. But I am having a lot of trouble finding sources for two
      > ingredients which, according to my reading so far, seem to be
      > indispensible:
      >
      > Lovage seed (NOT ajwain)
      >
      > Dried rue
      >
      > Are there any suppliers of these ingredients which will ship to the US? Or
      > even, shops in NYC which stock them?
      >
      > Forgive me for asking for I am sure this has been asked before. I spent a
      > few minutes searching without results, and I could not find a FAQ or any
      > links which pointed me in the right direction :-(

    • Galefridus Peregrinus
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
        Check out Auntie Arwen's Spices (http://auntiearwenspices.blogspot.com/). Even though lovage seed isn't listed, it's pretty likely that she has it or can get it if you ask. As for rue, it grows like a weed, at least in my part of the country (US Northeast). A friend ad a "rue patch" in his garden, gave me two plants a couple of years ago, and they're doing quite well. Great stuff to cook with, too -- it has a marvelous aromatic bitterness.

        On Mar 29, 2013, at 20:33, Ross <telamonian_teukros@...> wrote:

        > Salve! I have been interested in Roman cooking for a couple of years. Last year I organized a Roman inspired feast, this year I want to be more authentic. But I am having a lot of trouble finding sources for two ingredients which, according to my reading so far, seem to be indispensible:
        >
        > Lovage seed (NOT ajwain)
        >
        > Dried rue
        >
        > Are there any suppliers of these ingredients which will ship to the US? Or even, shops in NYC which stock them?
        >
        > Forgive me for asking for I am sure this has been asked before. I spent a few minutes searching without results, and I could not find a FAQ or any links which pointed me in the right direction :-(

      • Ryan Schabow
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
          I used to live in the Inwood neighborhood of NYC, and several of the shops
          there sold rue plants.

          Ryan

        • Cristal Delamer
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
            Greetings,

            According to Amazon you can purchase lovage (Levisticum officinale) from
            Amazon online. They also sell lovage leaves. Were you hoping to grow it
            yourself?
            I can get Rue seeds in my local Middle Eastern market. You'll find them on
            the spice aisle, but last year I found a seedling plant at a nursery and
            planted it in my little garden. It took off like crazy and has now pretty
            much taken over the garden. It is VERY aromatic (read: stinky) so be
            careful when handling it. It can also cause allergic reaction in many
            people just from touching it.

            Let me know if you can't find the rue seeds or a plant and I can send you
            some. I have an unopened packet in my pantry :)

            pax
            Cristal / Claudia

            --
            ~Cristal

            *domum coquus est numquam esurientem amicitiae*
            ~A cook's home is never hungry for friendship~

          • Ross
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2013
              Thanks for the suggestions. I did find (through Pass the Garum, concerning which an Apicius member wrote just two weeks ago) a place called Mountain Rose Herbs which seems to sell dried rue.

              I haven't had luck finding whole or ground lovage seed though (not counting seed packets which may not be edible). This seems quite strange as ground lovage seed is reportedly widely available, at least as a kind of blend (lovage seed and/or celery seed plus a lot of salt) as "Celery Salt". I suppose if I get desperate I can just adjust the recipes and use that...

              I checked out Auntie Arwen's but she seems to sell only blends... some of which have some uncommon ingredients. :-(