Re: [Apicius] Fish plate and how were they used

  • sallygrain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
      Hi
      The date range is very wide and we cannot say what they were doing at that early stage ? At the end of that period various fish sauces - and apparently more often halmer/ muria rather then garum - were used as dips with either wine or vinegar - often the latter in that period - and all kinds of fish were dunked into the sauces with the fingers see Wilkins and Hill Archestratus: fragments from a life of luxury 2011 new edition but no different from the 1994 version. and also Olsons and Sens Archestratus of Gela 2000 Oxford. The fish wasn't just easy to handle prawns and pieces of steak but even quite soft fish it seems.

      sally