Re: [Apicius] roman herbs for garden

  • Justin Mansfield
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22 2:51 PM
      Iustinus Mariannae et ceteris sal plur,

      On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...
      > wrote:

      > - *Calamintha nepeta <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamintha_nepeta>* o
      > *nepetella *--> Lesser calaminth*
      > - *Mentha pulegium <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha_pulegium>* o
      > *puleggio* (Roma <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma> e Lazio<
      > http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazio>) --> pennyroyal

      Mentha pulegium is of course just pulegium in Latin (sometimes spelled
      puleium). Also called by its Greek name, glechon.

      Calamintha nepeta has several Roman names, according to André:

      - "menta agrestis" ('wild mint')
      - "puleium silvestre" ('wild pennyroyal')
      - "nepeta" (usually translated 'catnip')
      - "calamintha" ('calamint')

      Vale & valete

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 23 11:42 AM
        Hi Marianne

        Definitely Mentha Pulegium. In Italy it's called "Mentuccia Romana", and
        grows wild a bit everywhere.

        Have fun!

        Lucia

        _____