Re: [Apicius] roman herbs for garden

  • Marianne Perdomo
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22, 2012
      Hello everyone!

      Many thanks!!

      Spearmint is very common in local cooking, so very I'm glad to know it's a
      logical choice.
      As to mentuccia, it seems there are two plants that go by that name:

      - *Calamintha nepeta <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamintha_nepeta>* o
      *nepetella *--> Lesser calaminth*
      *
      - *Mentha pulegium <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha_pulegium>* o *
      puleggio* (Roma <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma> e
      Lazio<http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazio>)
      --> pennyroyal

      See http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentuccia
      Which of the two would it be, Lucia?

      Justin :D I never noticed I ordered them that way. The whole mint family
      can be very confusing.

      Thanks also for the websites and book suggestions! I have there enough to
      keep me busy for a while :)

      Thank you! Valete!

      Marianne

    • Justin Mansfield
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 22, 2012
        Iustinus Mariannae et ceteris sal plur,

        On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...
        > wrote:

        > - *Calamintha nepeta <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamintha_nepeta>* o
        > *nepetella *--> Lesser calaminth*
        > - *Mentha pulegium <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha_pulegium>* o
        > *puleggio* (Roma <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma> e Lazio<
        > http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazio>) --> pennyroyal

        Mentha pulegium is of course just pulegium in Latin (sometimes spelled
        puleium). Also called by its Greek name, glechon.

        Calamintha nepeta has several Roman names, according to André:

        - "menta agrestis" ('wild mint')
        - "puleium silvestre" ('wild pennyroyal')
        - "nepeta" (usually translated 'catnip')
        - "calamintha" ('calamint')

        Vale & valete

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2012
          Hi Marianne

          Definitely Mentha Pulegium. In Italy it's called "Mentuccia Romana", and
          grows wild a bit everywhere.

          Have fun!

          Lucia

          _____