Re: [Apicius] roman herbs for garden

  • Justin Mansfield
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
      Iustinus Mariannae salutem plurimam dicit!

      Welcome. I love how you formatted your list of herbs from shortest to
      longest.

      According to Andr� menta refers to several species of the genus *Mentha*,
      but I generally use Mentha spicata as well.

      Vale

      On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
        Ave!

        Check this site out for herbs: http://www.housedragonor.org/A&S/herbs-gwen.html

        Here are some books.

        The Roman Cookery Book
        Barbara Flower & Elisabeth Rosenbaum
        THE BEST!!!!! Be warned though - no quantities given;

        Cooking Apicius: Roman Recipes for Today
        Sally Grainger and Andras Kaldor;
        EXCELLENT!!!!;

        Apicius, a Critical Edition With an Introduction And
        English Translation
        Christopher Grocock, Sally Grainger, and Dan Shadrake
        AWESOME!!!!;

        Roman Cookery: Ancient Recipes for Modern Kitchens
        Mark Grant
        Collection of recipes, especially bread, NOT from Apicius;

        Around the Roman Table: Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome
        Patrick Faas.

        Vale!

      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
          Marianne wrote:
          > ...Any idea what type of "mint" we're supposed to use? For example
          > in Pork with Apple (Minutal Matianum) in "The Classical Cookbook" by A
          > Dalby and Sally Grainger?
          >
          > - "mint" (I have Mentha spicata, spearmint)

          Spearmint is good.

          I don't know about in Spain, but in the US we tend to prefer peppermint. HOWEVER, peppermint, from what i've read, is a comparatively recent hybrid and unlikely to have been used more than about 400 years ago. Spearmint has a very long history, so it's a likely mint to use in Roman cooking.

          Anahita
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 21, 2012
            Hi Marianne
            I have an interesting book, "Ancient Roman Gardens" by Linda Farrar,
            published by Haynes & Co, 1998 in Great Britain. It is very informative with
            beautiful illustrations of gardens from Pompeii, Italy and England. So off
            hand I would add mustard, capers, rue and fennel. As for the mint, see if
            you can find the "mentuccia", the Roman mint. You are lucky to live in a
            gentle climate!

            Iustinus Mariannae salutem plurimam dicit!

            Welcome. I love how you formatted your list of herbs from shortest to
            longest.

            According to André menta refers to several species of the genus *Mentha*,

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 21, 2012
              That is an excelent book as well!

              Anything by Wilhelmina Mary Feemster Jashemski as well - she has a book called "A Pompeian Herbal: Ancient and Modern Medicinal Plants".

              A word of caution about the Rue - it is an abortive and some tend to be allergic to it so use with caution.  Also, if you use it - I do - use it sparingly!!  It tends to be a bit bitter and too much will ruin the dish.  When I use it a use no more than a pinch if that.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruta_graveolens

              Vale!

              CORREVS·APPIVS·IVLIANVS·APICIVS

              ________________________________

              Iustinus Mariannae salutem plurimam dicit!

              Welcome. I love how you formatted your list of herbs from shortest to
              longest.

              According to André menta refers to several species of the genus *Mentha*,
              but I generally use Mentha spicata as well.

              Vale

              On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...
              > wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hello from a longtime lurker and perennial beginner,
              >
              > I'm looking to get herbs for my garden, as many I can't get easily where I
              > live and it's really frustrating to hardly be able to try anything. One
              > problem is when I run into one that I'm not sure how to translate (I live
              > in Spain). Any idea what type of "mint" we're supposed to use? For example
              > in Pork with Apple (Minutal Matianum) in "The Classical Cookbook" by A
              > Dalby and Sally Grainger?
              >
              > Also what herbs do you find useful? My list so far is:
              > - celery
              > - lovage
              > - caraway
              > - coriander
              > - pennyroyal
              > - winter savory
              > - "mint" (I have Mentha spicata, spearmint)
              >
              > Also, any suggestions for a second book on Roman Cooking?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Salvete,
              >
              > Marianne

            • Marianne Perdomo
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 22, 2012
                Hello everyone!

                Many thanks!!

                Spearmint is very common in local cooking, so very I'm glad to know it's a
                logical choice.
                As to mentuccia, it seems there are two plants that go by that name:

                - *Calamintha nepeta <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamintha_nepeta>* o
                *nepetella *--> Lesser calaminth*
                *
                - *Mentha pulegium <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha_pulegium>* o *
                puleggio* (Roma <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma> e
                Lazio<http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazio>)
                --> pennyroyal

                See http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentuccia
                Which of the two would it be, Lucia?

                Justin :D I never noticed I ordered them that way. The whole mint family
                can be very confusing.

                Thanks also for the websites and book suggestions! I have there enough to
                keep me busy for a while :)

                Thank you! Valete!

                Marianne

              • Justin Mansfield
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 22, 2012
                  Iustinus Mariannae et ceteris sal plur,

                  On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...
                  > wrote:

                  > - *Calamintha nepeta <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamintha_nepeta>* o
                  > *nepetella *--> Lesser calaminth*
                  > - *Mentha pulegium <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha_pulegium>* o
                  > *puleggio* (Roma <http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma> e Lazio<
                  > http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazio>) --> pennyroyal

                  Mentha pulegium is of course just pulegium in Latin (sometimes spelled
                  puleium). Also called by its Greek name, glechon.

                  Calamintha nepeta has several Roman names, according to André:

                  - "menta agrestis" ('wild mint')
                  - "puleium silvestre" ('wild pennyroyal')
                  - "nepeta" (usually translated 'catnip')
                  - "calamintha" ('calamint')

                  Vale & valete

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 23, 2012
                    Hi Marianne

                    Definitely Mentha Pulegium. In Italy it's called "Mentuccia Romana", and
                    grows wild a bit everywhere.

                    Have fun!

                    Lucia

                    _____