Mock Dormice and other experiments

  • asseri@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 3:20 PM
      Hello everyone,

      I have a recipes test tomorrow and I thought I would look for some impute
      on what I am doing. Later this month I am cooking a dinner for 15 to 30
      people as a birthday gift to myself. I have an idea to make mock stuffed
      dormice using de-boned chicken thighs. A simple ground pork stuffing with pine
      nuts and ground pepper. Using cooks twine to bind it and maybe steam
      vegetable strips for tails. BUT wait there is more!

      I need to make a Mortum (cheese spread) for this event and another. The
      larger gather is an SCA Equestrian event that might explode to a very large
      attendance so I need to extend expensive cheeses with lesser ones like
      ricotta and such. For that one I am running a tavern/food booth (more like an 8
      by 8 shed)
      It will be a huge challenge. There is a part of me that does not want to
      make walking taco's and hot dog's. BUT I will most likely bend on that issue
      as I make the menu and the budget too. ( between $ 250-300 )

      I will make olive spread/chopped herbed olives as well just to see how
      well it does. And test "Cheese sauce for lettuce."

      This being said I keep getting bogged down. I realized I offered to cook
      for 3 activities over the course of 60 days and one of them is 2nd week of
      Pennsic War only one or two meals for 11 . Mostly I need fresh
      perspectives and ideas. I chose Roman theme because its hot and its summer and it
      just seems a good time to explore.

      Janet in Indiana .

    • Christopher Robinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 3:48 PM
        Vegan dormice! The ghost of Petronius is
        howling at the thought.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3 6:41 PM
          They are fowl dormice, not vegan, by Jove!

          --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Robinson <chrisrobinson@...>
          wrote:

          > Vegan dormice! The ghost of Petronius is
          > howling at the thought.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Donna
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10 11:37 AM
            It is my understanding that European dormice (a different critter than the English dormouse) is very fatty ... at least the tails are quite fatty. Anyway, with that in mind, you might want to wrap the stuffed chicken thighs in bacon to get more tasty fat into the dish.

            Donna

            --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, asseri@... wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I have a recipes test tomorrow and I thought I would look for some impute
            > on what I am doing. Later this month I am cooking a dinner for 15 to 30
            > people as a birthday gift to myself. I have an idea to make mock stuffed
            > dormice using de-boned chicken thighs. A simple ground pork stuffing with pine
            > nuts and ground pepper. Using cooks twine to bind it and maybe steam
            > vegetable strips for tails. BUT wait there is more!
            >
            > I need to make a Mortum (cheese spread) for this event and another. The
            > larger gather is an SCA Equestrian event that might explode to a very large
            > attendance so I need to extend expensive cheeses with lesser ones like
            > ricotta and such. For that one I am running a tavern/food booth (more like an 8
            > by 8 shed)
            > It will be a huge challenge. There is a part of me that does not want to
            > make walking taco's and hot dog's. BUT I will most likely bend on that issue
            > as I make the menu and the budget too. ( between $ 250-300 )
            >
            > I will make olive spread/chopped herbed olives as well just to see how
            > well it does. And test "Cheese sauce for lettuce."
            >
            > This being said I keep getting bogged down. I realized I offered to cook
            > for 3 activities over the course of 60 days and one of them is 2nd week of
            > Pennsic War only one or two meals for 11 . Mostly I need fresh
            > perspectives and ideas. I chose Roman theme because its hot and its summer and it
            > just seems a good time to explore.
            >
            > Janet in Indiana .

          • Lisa Blair
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11 4:11 PM
              Greetings,

              What I usually do with Moretum is a "cheater version" for large demos and Renn Faires where my kitchen is set up. Instead of using Monchego cheese for the Virgil's Moretum, I use feta and cream cheese. This way I am still holding somewhat true to the "hard by taking up the salt" since the feta is brined. You can also use either Romano or Parmesan. I do find the feta version to be a bit more palatable and affordable. I know it is not correct, but it does give people the oppertunity to try a Roman digestive. Children really love it!

              Gwenhwyvar