Re: Garum - Colatura di Alici, Delfino, Anchovy Condiment

  • Mercy Neumark
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
      So, I've watched two British TV shows recently on Roman food which brought up Garum. One was "Supersizers Go... Roman" which everything them seem to eat (almost) is nasty to them. I also saw Heston Blumenthal (spelling) Roman Feast special, which he said wasn't bad. I've also had friends tell me to substitute Asian fish sauce when cooking. Not sure if that is the best replacement honestly.

      What do you all think about the taste? When you've made it have you come up with a good way of making it that is easy?

      --Mercy

      Sent from my iPhone
      Please excuse any typos or odd autocorrection errors
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
        Sally Grainger.....

        She has a recipe for garum in her new book - it is absolutely the best!  To be honest, I would take what the Supersizers say with a grain of salt.  i've watched their shows and I think they play up the 'gross' factor for the plebs.

        Perhaps Sally will see this and post her recipe.  I would also encourage to to get her book.  The big one - the magnum opus - is a translation of Apicius; the companion book - the smaller one - is the 'cookbook'.  This one, unfortunately, does not have all the recipes in it but the most common/usable recipes as well as how to make ingredients such as garum.

        'Apicius, a Critical Edition With an Introduction And English Translation'
        http://www.amazon.com/Apicius-Critical-Edition-Introduction-Translation/dp/1903018137/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333293851&sr=8-1

        'Cooking Apicius: Roman Recipes for Today'
        http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Apicius-Roman-Recipes-Today/dp/1903018447/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b