Re: [Apicius] (unknown)

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012

      From: "armand@..." <armand@...>
      To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:00 AM
      Subject: Re: [Apicius] (unknown)

      From: Correus
      Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:41 PM
      To: iowavolunteermilitia@... ; vickie.vargas-jacobs@...
      Subject: [Apicius] (unknown)

      Good way to make some additional money.
      http://payneortho.com/php-oak/themes/global/files/content_images/common_problems/mcith/flirndlg.html

    • Sharon Palmer
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012
        >Being don now.

        Better change your email password too.
        Ranvaig
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012
          Yup - that was the first thing that got changed.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7 9:09 PM
            Salve,

            With Easter so close and other things happening, I would like to balance
            out the idea that "Romans were the bad guys" in my kindergarten Sunday
            School class. I am thinking about and looking for quick and easy snacks
            to make with and/or feed them, and maybe some really simple games or
            whatever else to "humanize" the Romans. I know they're too young to
            really understand much of what happened, but still - the Romans were
            people too, just like them. Plus, left over snacks would be welcome in
            the adult Sunday School class I attend second hour.

            Unfortunately, both copies of Apicius that the University library has
            are the two translations that you have said not to use. I have been
            searching through the list archives, and found a couple of great things
            to try - if only we had more time.

            I would have anywhere from 5-20+ minutes, and won't know until that day,
            so if the kids were going to help put a dish or drink together, it would
            most likely be in a 5-10 minute time frame, but maybe longer. The main
            second hour teacher sings in the choir, so when she shows up depends on
            when the choir special is finished.

            Is creating a dish or a drink in that time frame even feasible? We have
            had anywhere from 5-20 kids, though usually 7-10. I don't think some of
            them can grasp "here are ingredients, which we'll mix, and then after a
            bunch of cooking time, viola!" and pull out the finished product, which
            I've already made.

            We can always play games instead, or talk about schooling and whatnot,
            but I think food can add a little, more memorable, extra. They
            regularly have snacks second hour (crackers and water), but that's
            usually it.

            So I'm fishing around for suggestions to see what's possible and worth
            considering. I'd appreciate any replies and suggestions.

            Thanks,
            Theresa
          • Volker Bach
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7 11:33 PM
              OK, it's not strictly speaking Apicius, but Moretum (the pseudo-Virgilian version with  cheese, garlic, oil, herbs and salt) and globi (Cato, fried balls of curds and flour rolled in poppyseed and honey) fit the timeframe. I made globi with  an elementary  school group last week and they went over very well.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8 1:09 PM
                Well, I would prefer stiffed dates (“dulcia domestica” - if you can get fresh dates) and “mustacei” (a type of sweet bread, Cato de agri cultura 121). The recipe for “aliter dulcia” (Apic. 7.13.6) comes very close to Italian “Crescentine” if made in the right way. Other good dishes are “pepones et melones” (a type of melon salad - Apic. 3.7), “patina de piris” (Apic. 4.35) and “gustum de praecoquiis” (Apic. 4.5.4).

                Best regards

                RM

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8 1:15 PM
                  Are they going to care about the good/evil issue? Since, in Christian mythology, the event had to happen, happening within the cultural context of the time was no big deal, historically or culturally. Whether it was the Romans, or had been the Egyptians, or anyhone else...it sholdn't matter to a 5 year old mind.

                  That aside---the proverbial forerunner to the hamburger might workd...or a loaf of bread with olive oil and/or honey.

[...]

                  No virus found in this message.

                • Warriior Chef
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8 1:30 PM
                    Also, being a seditionist, at least in the hotspot of Judea, the punishment of the Romans for the criminals of the time was not personal. Capital punishment, in whichever culture, for whatever reasons, isn't really a necessary education to a 4 year old trying to grasp that beyond Easter Egg hunting [a wonderful pagan event] should enter their lives--fun should be more the key, rather than making the Romans either naughty or nice.