    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012

        From: Correus
        Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:41 PM
        To: iowavolunteermilitia@... ; vickie.vargas-jacobs@...
        Subject: [Apicius] (unknown)

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012

          From: "armand@..." <armand@...>
          To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com
          Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:00 AM
          Subject: Re: [Apicius] (unknown)

          From: Correus
          Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:41 PM
          To: iowavolunteermilitia@... ; vickie.vargas-jacobs@...

          Good way to make some additional money.
          http://payneortho.com/php-oak/themes/global/files/content_images/common_problems/mcith/flirndlg.html

        • Sharon Palmer
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012
            >Being don now.

            Better change your email password too.
            Ranvaig
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012
              Yup - that was the first thing that got changed.

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 7, 2012
                Salve,

                With Easter so close and other things happening, I would like to balance
                out the idea that "Romans were the bad guys" in my kindergarten Sunday
                School class. I am thinking about and looking for quick and easy snacks
                to make with and/or feed them, and maybe some really simple games or
                whatever else to "humanize" the Romans. I know they're too young to
                really understand much of what happened, but still - the Romans were
                people too, just like them. Plus, left over snacks would be welcome in
                the adult Sunday School class I attend second hour.

                Unfortunately, both copies of Apicius that the University library has
                are the two translations that you have said not to use. I have been
                searching through the list archives, and found a couple of great things
                to try - if only we had more time.

                I would have anywhere from 5-20+ minutes, and won't know until that day,
                so if the kids were going to help put a dish or drink together, it would
                most likely be in a 5-10 minute time frame, but maybe longer. The main
                second hour teacher sings in the choir, so when she shows up depends on
                when the choir special is finished.

                Is creating a dish or a drink in that time frame even feasible? We have
                had anywhere from 5-20 kids, though usually 7-10. I don't think some of
                them can grasp "here are ingredients, which we'll mix, and then after a
                bunch of cooking time, viola!" and pull out the finished product, which
                I've already made.

                We can always play games instead, or talk about schooling and whatnot,
                but I think food can add a little, more memorable, extra. They
                regularly have snacks second hour (crackers and water), but that's
                usually it.

                So I'm fishing around for suggestions to see what's possible and worth
                considering. I'd appreciate any replies and suggestions.

                Thanks,
                Theresa
              • Volker Bach
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 7, 2012
                  OK, it's not strictly speaking Apicius, but Moretum (the pseudo-Virgilian version with  cheese, garlic, oil, herbs and salt) and globi (Cato, fried balls of curds and flour rolled in poppyseed and honey) fit the timeframe. I made globi with  an elementary  school group last week and they went over very well.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2012
                    Well, I would prefer stiffed dates (“dulcia domestica” - if you can get fresh dates) and “mustacei” (a type of sweet bread, Cato de agri cultura 121). The recipe for “aliter dulcia” (Apic. 7.13.6) comes very close to Italian “Crescentine” if made in the right way. Other good dishes are “pepones et melones” (a type of melon salad - Apic. 3.7), “patina de piris” (Apic. 4.35) and “gustum de praecoquiis” (Apic. 4.5.4).

                    Best regards

                    RM

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 8, 2012
                      Are they going to care about the good/evil issue? Since, in Christian mythology, the event had to happen, happening within the cultural context of the time was no big deal, historically or culturally. Whether it was the Romans, or had been the Egyptians, or anyhone else...it sholdn't matter to a 5 year old mind.

                      That aside---the proverbial forerunner to the hamburger might workd...or a loaf of bread with olive oil and/or honey.

[...]

                      No virus found in this message.

                    • Warriior Chef
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 8, 2012
                        Also, being a seditionist, at least in the hotspot of Judea, the punishment of the Romans for the criminals of the time was not personal. Capital punishment, in whichever culture, for whatever reasons, isn't really a necessary education to a 4 year old trying to grasp that beyond Easter Egg hunting [a wonderful pagan event] should enter their lives--fun should be more the key, rather than making the Romans either naughty or nice.