Culinary Symposium Update

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
      Unfortunately I only have one class on Roman food, but for those who are interested ...

      The schedule and class list for the Culinary Symposium is still somewhat in flux, but here are the classes I've got as of now:

      Cooking Over a Fire
      15th c English Table Manners
      Breaking a Pig
      Saffron History & Uses
      Cheesemaking 101
      Intro to Pressed Cheese
      Mozzarella
      Skyr
      Redacting 101
      Viking bread in theory and practice
      Searching Sources
      Fritters
      La Cucina Povera: Italian Peasant Food in the Sixteenth Century
      Camping without a Cooler
      Drying and Preserving Herbs in a Dough Coffin
      Exploring Martino
      Evolution of trenchers and Bread on the medeival table
      Portuguese Goa
      Period Charcouterie Data Review
      Cuisine in the Byzantine Empire
      "Gebachens" – Foods for Fastnacht
      Poultry as Food Animals
      Roman Food
      Ottoman Cooking
      Hands-on Carving: Chickens, Peaches and Pies
      Poultry Processing
      Writing Food History: How to write it and where to publish it?
      Gelatin - savory, sweet, subtlety, and prescription!
      Bread Baking
      Perfectly Period Feast and How We did it
      Period Islamic Cooking

      So, send in those registrations soon.
      http://www.compassstarcatering.com/westculinarysymposium2012.html

      Juana Isabella
    • Freydis the Good
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
        I am VERY interested in the Roman Cooking track and will be coming all the
        way from Idaho to attend. :-)

        So the more Roman Cooking classes you have <chuckle> the more fun I'll
        have. :-)

        Waiting as patiently as possible,
        Freydis

        On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Donna <donnaegreen@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Unfortunately I only have one class on Roman food, but for those who are
        > interested ...
        >
        > The schedule and class list for the Culinary Symposium is still somewhat
        > in flux, but here are the classes I've got as of now:
        >
        > Cooking Over a Fire
        > 15th c English Table Manners
        > Breaking a Pig
        > Saffron History & Uses
        > Cheesemaking 101
        > Intro to Pressed Cheese
        > Mozzarella
        > Skyr
        > Redacting 101
        > Viking bread in theory and practice
        > Searching Sources
        > Fritters
        > La Cucina Povera: Italian Peasant Food in the Sixteenth Century
        > Camping without a Cooler
        > Drying and Preserving Herbs in a Dough Coffin
        > Exploring Martino
        > Evolution of trenchers and Bread on the medeival table
        > Portuguese Goa
        > Period Charcouterie Data Review
        > Cuisine in the Byzantine Empire
        > "Gebachens" � Foods for Fastnacht
        > Poultry as Food Animals
        > Roman Food
        > Ottoman Cooking
        > Hands-on Carving: Chickens, Peaches and Pies
        > Poultry Processing
        > Writing Food History: How to write it and where to publish it?
        > Gelatin - savory, sweet, subtlety, and prescription!
        > Bread Baking
        > Perfectly Period Feast and How We did it
        > Period Islamic Cooking
        >
        > So, send in those registrations soon.
        > http://www.compassstarcatering.com/westculinarysymposium2012.html
        >
        > Juana Isabella

      • Donna
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2011
          The schedule is pretty full at this point, and I only have one Roman food class. There *will* be lots of fun classes, so I do hope you make the trip. I just don't want you to come with false expectations :-)

          Juana Isabella

          --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Freydis the Good <freydisthegood@...> wrote:

          > I am VERY interested in the Roman Cooking track and will be coming all the
          > way from Idaho to attend. :-)
          >
          > So the more Roman Cooking classes you have <chuckle> the more fun I'll
          > have. :-)
          >
          > Waiting as patiently as possible,
          > Freydis
          >
          > On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Donna <donnaegreen@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Unfortunately I only have one class on Roman food, but for those who are
          > > interested ...
          > >
          > > The schedule and class list for the Culinary Symposium is still somewhat
          > > in flux, but here are the classes I've got as of now:
          > >
          > > Cooking Over a Fire
          > > 15th c English Table Manners
          > > Breaking a Pig
          > > Saffron History & Uses
          > > Cheesemaking 101
          > > Intro to Pressed Cheese
          > > Mozzarella
          > > Skyr
          > > Redacting 101
          > > Viking bread in theory and practice
          > > Searching Sources
          > > Fritters
          > > La Cucina Povera: Italian Peasant Food in the Sixteenth Century
          > > Camping without a Cooler
          > > Drying and Preserving Herbs in a Dough Coffin
          > > Exploring Martino
          > > Evolution of trenchers and Bread on the medeival table
          > > Portuguese Goa
          > > Period Charcouterie Data Review
          > > Cuisine in the Byzantine Empire
          > > "Gebachens" – Foods for Fastnacht
          > > Poultry as Food Animals
          > > Roman Food
          > > Ottoman Cooking
          > > Hands-on Carving: Chickens, Peaches and Pies
          > > Poultry Processing
          > > Writing Food History: How to write it and where to publish it?
          > > Gelatin - savory, sweet, subtlety, and prescription!
          > > Bread Baking
          > > Perfectly Period Feast and How We did it
          > > Period Islamic Cooking
          > >
          > > So, send in those registrations soon.
          > > http://www.compassstarcatering.com/westculinarysymposium2012.html
          > >
          > > Juana Isabella

        • Freydis the Good
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2011
            No, no false expectations, but I can HOPE for more! <chuckle> Then cross
            my fingers and toes!

            I just looked up the site... for some reason I had the thought it was in
            downtown San Francisco so I made arrangements to stay in my daughters dorm
            room. I'm thinking I'll have to change those plans and rent a car now...
            but I am still gonna crash her dorm room at least one night! LOL!

            Smiles!
            Freydis

          • Donna
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2011
              We will have a shuttle or two from the OAK and SFO airports, if people coordinate their travel plans to arrive around the same time. If you want to get in on that, please let Ysabella know. She is the contact person listed on the website.

              Thanks

            • Donna
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 24, 2012
                More updates on the Culinary Symposium:

                We will be having a wonderful keynote speaker. Johnnae llyn Lewis will be discussing her work on the Concordance of English Recipes: Thirteenth to Fifteenth Centuries by Constance Hieatt and J. Terry Nutter with Johnna Holloway; a bibliography for Oxford University Press on the topic of Medieval Food and Drink with Professor CB Hieatt, and her work on English cookery books.

                We will have a book room where you can prowl through the bibliographic collections of your fellow cooks. I will bring my library on SCA appropriate historical cookbooks and books on food. If you have books you want to bring, please do so. Please mark the books as yours (those address labels that charities are always sending out make easy book plates). The book room will be monitored. No food or drink will be allowed in the book room.

                We plan on a display of period serving ware. If you have period serving ware you would like to bring for the display, please do so. If what you have is a reproduction of a period artifact and you have a picture of that artifact, please bring the picture as well. It would be especially good if you can note where your items came from (how you made it, who you bought it from, etc.) so that others can also improve their collections of serving ware and everyone has a better looking table.

                Class Pre-Registration is still on-going. The following clases are already full:
                Viking bread in theory and practice
                Intro to Pressed Cheese
                Skyr
                I am creating a waiting list for those classes. If you want to be on the waiting list for those please let me know. If you want to sign up for others, please let me know.

                I look forward to seeing you at the Culinary Symposium in 18 days :-)

                Juana Isabella