Garum

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 5, 2011
      A question for those of you who've made garum from scratch ... is there any ill effect if the fish guts have been frozen before you mix in the salt and set them out to ferment? I ask because I often make cured sardines. Part of that process involves removing the heads and the guts. I was thinking that if I started putting the heads and guts away in the freezer until I had accumulated enough to make some garum this would be a good thing. I only make small batches of cured sardines, so it would take awhile to save up enough fish guts for a batch of garum. From what little reading I've done on the process, fish guts are supposed to make a better garum, so I thought it might be worth the freezer space to save the guts and heads.

      I look forward to your learned advice.

      Donna
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 5, 2011
        For what I have read, the guts and heads were used for the "commercial"
        (sort of store brand versus name brand?) garum. The best garum was made with
        whole small fish. Since you are so commendably gutsy (bad pun, I know), why
        not chopping the whole sardines?

        Lucia

        _____

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 6, 2011
          Never tried with frozen fish (or guts) but thinkng about it... why not?

          The only reason which I can think of is the effect of freezing on the
          microorganisms in the gut. You know, you need them for the fermentation
          (literally, digesting its own flesh). If they are sensible to freezing
          they would die and you'll end up with a different kind of decay mostly
          produced by microorganisms from outer sources.

          But there is a different tactic which may be borrowed from the winemakers.
          There is a rough "24 hours" rule in winemaking; in order to have the
          original fermentum of the wineyard, you have to press the grapes within
          24 hours after collecting them, of course without washing them.
          Otherwise, the original microorganisms die and you have to add some wine
          yeast - which never produces the same quality. Since this is not
          feasible for most of the winemakers who have huge wineyards or different
          sources for grapes, they developed a tactic; pressing just a few barrels
          right on the spot, in a corner of the wineyard from the fresh collected
          grapes. After the harvest which may last for several days / weeks, they
          use these barrels as the source and distribute small amouts to each barrel.

          I think you may try the same; just start your garum with a small amount
          of fresh guts and heads, wait for a few days (a week maybe?) to have an
          adequate population of microorganisms, then defrost your stock and mix
          them.

          And please let us know the results... :)

          CemK

          06.08.2011 02:31, Donna yazm?s,:

          > A question for those of you who've made garum from scratch ... is
          > there any ill effect if the fish guts have been frozen before you mix
          > in the salt and set them out to ferment? I ask because I often make
          > cured sardines. Part of that process involves removing the heads and
          > the guts. I was thinking that if I started putting the heads and guts
          > away in the freezer until I had accumulated enough to make some garum
          > this would be a good thing. I only make small batches of cured
          > sardines, so it would take awhile to save up enough fish guts for a
          > batch of garum. From what little reading I've done on the process,
          > fish guts are supposed to make a better garum, so I thought it might
          > be worth the freezer space to save the guts and heads.
          >
          > I look forward to your learned advice.
          >
          > Donna

        • Richard Cullinan
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 6, 2011
            Nice idea but frozen guts won't ferment. The freezing will kill the
            microflora responsible for fermentation.

            Richard

          • Donna
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 3, 2013
              I decanted my garum over the weekend. I've had a big jar of fish heads, fish guts and salt sitting on my back porch for a year. I strained out the solids and then filtered the muddy liquid. The filtered stuff came out a clear amber color. It tastes great and I got about 2 cups worth.

              Donna
            • Larry Simpson
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2013
                Pics????

                Correus

                On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:34, "Donna" <donnaegreen@...> wrote:

                > I decanted my garum over the weekend. I've had a big jar of fish heads, fish guts and salt sitting on my back porch for a year. I strained out the solids and then filtered the muddy liquid. The filtered stuff came out a clear amber color. It tastes great and I got about 2 cups worth.
                >
                > Donna

              • Galefridus Peregrinus
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 26, 2013
                  I heard a report on garum on NPR's Weekend Edition this morning -- here's the link to the story:

                  -- Galefridus