Your fav/go to recipe

  • qa9999aq
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2011
      If someone approached you and said they were interested in cooking by Apicius, what recipe would you recommend they start with? What is, in your opinion, an easy starting place?

      And what is your favorite recipe? Which one would you make weekly if you could?

      Thanks for your thoughts.
      Pattie
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2011
        I do make almost weekly the custard, which is the only one with exact
        quantities: 3 eggs, 1 pint of milk, 3 big spoons of honey. Mix, put in an
        oiled pan, drizzle honey on top, and bake it in bigger pan full of water
        until the custard is firm. Then I like the sausages braised in wine with
        pine nuts and big fava beans, and the fish poached in leeks and oil and
        covered with beaten eggs and marjoram and baked just enough for the eggs to
        firm up. And then of course the lentil soup with chestnuts, and the pork
        rolled on bread dough and baked...

        Oh well

        Lucia

        The panem depsticium too

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2011
          Oh man...there are just too many!!

          I'd have to go with the custard as well, along with the Asparagus patina with Figpeckers.

          I also like the carrots with cumin.

          Correus

          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2011
            We love the Parthian chicken...it's one of our favorite all-time recipes, ancient or modern. The recipe in Sally Grainger's "Cooking Apicius" is perfect. I served up wings with the sauce at a party recently and my guests raved. It's easy and definitely could make this weekly and never feel like it was too often.

            Crystal

            --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "qa9999aq" <qa9999aq@...> wrote:

            > If someone approached you and said they were interested in cooking by Apicius, what recipe would you recommend they start with? What is, in your opinion, an easy starting place?
            >
            > And what is your favorite recipe? Which one would you make weekly if you could?
            >
            > Thanks for your thoughts.
            > Pattie

          • Saerlaith
            Message 5 of 6 , May 23, 2011
              I'm a Latin teacher (as well as Classics-lover) and I've got a set of recipes we use for a "Roman cuisine" project at the end of the school year. (It started out from having a Latin newsletter when I was working with 6th graders, each month they reviewed 3 recipes, along with stories of what we'd been doing in class. We "saved" the recipes that tasted good to them.) This is the kid-tested and kid-approved menu:

              Gustatio:
              Cecina
              Moretum
              Olivarum conditurae
              Mel et caseum

              Prima Mensa:
              Pullum frontonarium
              Aliter pisam sive fabam
              Caroetae frictae
              Mustacei

              Secunda Mensa:
              Dulcia domestica
              Libum

              Now, as an adult, I'm more than happy with the flavors presented in many of the other recipes available to us, but I can attest that at least seven years-worth of pre-to-teen teenagers have found themselves surprised by how much they liked this menu! (The older teens are actually the most negative and then the most ready for more.)

              Personally, I regularly make the moretum and the olivarum conditurae for parties. It's always a hit! I have experimented with the moretum, too, since there were many varieties. I've tried it with feta, with peccorino romano, with local sheep cheese, and I even once tried it with roasted garlic. All were excellent.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 23, 2011
                I just made the sausages braised in wine with fava beans for my very
                suspicious son. He liked them. Served with panem depsticium it could be
                almost a middle eastern dish, no spoon required

                Lucia

                _____

                --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Apicius%40yahoogroups.com> ,