Garum (again)

  • richard robinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2011
      I got to see a replay of Hestons Feasts on a local network last night. It was his roman feast. I was happy to see it as my noisy family talked over his experiment to reproduce Garum and what it tasted like.
      He was reproducing calf brain custard and made it first of all with Thai fish sauce and not being happy with the result, fished and did the experiment. He said the result was like a nice seafood bisque.
      Thoughts??
      Richard in Australia

    • RM
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2011
        I think the best substitute of the original garum is the "Colatura d'alici di Cetara" (please have a look here: http://www.amicidellealici.org/ or http://www.amicidellealici.org/02_la_colatura/000_la_colatura.htm). Cetara is a little town not far away from Amalfi where this
        You may get a small bottle from amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00126WGIK/

        Best regards

        RM

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2011
          Well, the colatura I purchased tastes almost the same as the garum I made.

          I got mine from sorrentodelights ( http://www.sorrentodelights.it/ ), but I
          have no idea wether they ship overseas.

          Armand
        • Saerlaith
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2011
            Thank you for the link! I am definitely interested in checking that out.

            I cook Asian or pseudo-asian cuisine often enough in my home that I just use a thai fish sauce or oyster sauce, but when my students freak out about "icky fish sauce," I just let them substitute Worcestershire sauce. We say that since the Romance languages are the great-grandchildren of Latin, W'shire sauce is the great-grandkid of Garum.