Administrativa: Welcome to the first subscribers!!!

  • Courtois Julien
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 1999
      Dear all,

      with the first subscribers (35 so far, only after less than 1 day of
      existence!) I felt the necessity to make a welcome message. Feel free to
      make your comment either to the list or privately
      (julien.courtois@...)

      A FAQ would be a nice addition to this list too. I'm working on it but
      don't expect to see anything before one or two weeks. Suggestions are
      welcomed.

      Your nice listmaster,

      Julien Courtois

      PS: I know that my mother tongue is NOT English, so please forward me
      privately any grammatic/syntax/style mistakes.

      -------- Welcome message ---------
      Hello,

      Welcome to the Apicius-list. Please take a moment to review this
      message, and
      keep it preciously for future reference.

      To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
      www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
      on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
      between digest and normal mode.

      To POST to the list, send your message to: Apicius@onelist.com

      To VIEW the ARCHIVES, point your browser to:
      http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/Apicius

      Questions regarding Subscribing/unsubscribing difficulties must be
      directly sent
      to the listmaster (julien.courtois@...), and NOT to the list.

      This list is exclusively reserved for sharing experiences in Antique
      Roman
      cookery. Relevant sujects are: Discussion on antique Roman/celt/greek
      cooking
      recipes, ingredients finding or growing, antique beverages, historical
      background, special announcements on the suject (invition for an orgy
      ;-> ),
      etc...

      I have enclosed a very good document known as the "Netiquette guide for
      mailing
      lists" which should provide you a very good general introduction to the
      Internet
      mailing-lists (Even for people with a lot of mailing-lists experience).

      This list is unmoderated, and I don't want to moderate it. To keep it
      readable
      please stay on the topic and refrain from sending "I agree" messages.
      Commercial
      postings within our discussion topic (for example: announcement of a
      book
      closely related to ancient cooking (one single mention of Apicius is NOT
      enough!), ancient cooking artifacts, ...) are allowed, but should be
      kept to a
      minimum (for example a link to a WWW page). SPAMMERS will be immediately
      damned
      at eaternae, and a complaint will be posted to his/her postmaster. In
      case of
      doubt just send your message to the listmaster
      (julien.courtois@...)for
      approbation.

      Enjoy the Apicius-list!

      Julien Courtois
      julien.courtois@...

      ---Netiquette guide for mailing lists---
      Some mailing lists have low rates of traffic, others can flood your
      mailbox with
      several hundred mail messages per day. Numerous incoming messages from
      various
      listservers or mailing lists by multiple users, requires extensive
      system
      processing which can tie up valuable resources. Subscription to Interest
      Groups
      or Discussion Lists should be kept to a minimum and should not exceed
      what your
      disk quota can handle, or you for that matter.

      When you join a list, monitor the messages for a few days to get a feel
      for what
      common questions are asked, and what topics are deemed off-limits. This
      is
      commonly referred to as lurking. When you feel comfortable with the
      group, then
      start posting.

      See if there is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for a group that you
      are
      interested in joining. Veteran members get annoyed when they see the
      same
      questions every few weeks, or at the start of each semester. [Julien
      here: for
      the moment there is no FAQ for the Apicius-list, but it is on my "todo"
      list"]

      Follow any and all guidelines that the listowner has posted; the
      listowner
      establishes the local "netiquette" standards for her/his list.

      Keep in mind that some discussion lists or Usenet groups have members
      from many
      countries. Don't assume that they will understand a reference to TV,
      movies, pop
      culture, or current events in your country. If you must use the
      reference,
      please explain it. Don't assume that they understand geographical