Re: [Apicius] Pisa

  • Sharon Palmer
    Message 1 of 78 , Mar 22, 2011
      >In the text 4.4.2, it suggests that chickpeas, lentil, and pisa/peas
      >be soaked.
      >We are all familiar with the fist two, but the suggestion of an
      >additional peas is what I am inquiring about.
      >I am at a loss, or either just not thinking, but which pea is
      >suggested for use here?

      I think it would be field peas. The ones that are commonly sold as
      split peas. Before they are split they have a membrane holding them
      together. You soak them so you can take off that membrane. When
      using split peas, you can skip that step.

      Once I searched out whole peas and used them for a recipe, and the
      results were exactly the same as common split peas. I'm not sure if
      yellow or green peas would be more appropriate for Apicus, but the
      taste is pretty much the same.

      Sweet peas are closely related, but have been selected to taste
      better fresh. But field peas can be eaten as green peas if they are
      young enough.

      Ranvaig
    • Brent Nielsen
      Message 78 of 78 , Jan 30, 2012