[Apicius] Digest Number 1536

  • Steve Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2010
      Subject: RE: [Apicius] Digest Number 1536

      While the expression "dirt eaters" seems not to occur in surviving
      Mesopotamian sources, there are a couple of similar ones conveying the
      same metaphoric sense. Ereshkigal queen of the underworld chants "for my
      bread I eat clay, for my beer I drink muddy water." Another similar
      phrase "dust is their food, their bread clay" occurs in several
      Mesopotamian texts describing the unerderworld realm of the dead. A
      convenient summary, with references is in M L West The East Face of
      Helicon p 161.

      It may be significant that Inanna, queen of heaven, who unwisely enters
      the realm of the dead and suffers death herself, is revived by being
      sprinkled with the food of life and water of life (see Inanna's Descent
      to the Nether World, lines 240-275).