OT- "Dirt Eaters"

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hello Everyone -

      I am recently read 'Dawn of Empire' and am currently reading 'Empire Rising', both by Sam Barone.

      In these books he calls the Mesopotamian farmers and villagers "Dirt Eaters".  I tend to recall this being slang for ancient farmers but can't seem to find the reference for it.

      Am I correct or am I going daft?  Anyone know id this is indeed slang for farmers?

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
        I don't recall ever hearing such a thing.

        The Egyptians seem to have derogatorily referred to the Nubians as "gum eaters" though.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
          I've also heard them use 'clay eaters' for slaves.

          Hmmm....wonder what I'm thinking of. I know it had to have something to do with Sumeria.

          Correus

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
            I've not seen "clay eaters" before either, but there's little enough difference between "dirt" and "clay" that perhaps that is what you're thinking of?

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2010
              Possible, but 'clay eaters' was typically used as a derogatory term for slaves.

              Correus

              From: jdm314@... <jdm314@...>

              To: Apicius@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Monday, August 2, 2010, 7:04 PM

              I don't recall ever hearing such a thing.

              The Egyptians seem to have derogatorily referred to the Nubians as "gum eaters" though.

              I am recently read 'Dawn of Empire' and am currently reading 'Empire Rising', both by Sam Barone.

              In these books he calls the Mesopotamian farmers and villagers "Dirt Eaters". I tend to recall this being slang for ancient farmers but can't seem to find the reference for it.

              Am I correct or am I going daft? Anyone know id this is indeed slang for farmers?

            • Phoenix
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2010
                In the Gilgamesh saga the dead are said to eat dirt in the Underworld.
                Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

                Verse for the Question of Correus (inspired by Dorothy Parker)

                When no offerings are made to the dead,
                they don't have bread,
                they eat dirt and dust
                because they must.

                Don't know much about clay eaters besides it being a type of pica.
                The Clay People from Flash Gordon's adventures come to mind, though.

                Mud pies can be fun to make, too!

                Have a happy August,
                Demetria

                --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Correus <correus@...> wrote:

                > Possible, but 'clay eaters' was typically used as a derogatory term for slaves.
                >
                > Correus

              • Brent Nielsen
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 5, 2010
                  Right upto the depression,another phrase is dirt farmer...what other kind is
                  there?

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 6, 2010
                    oyster
                    richard

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 6, 2010
                      Dairy farmers; pig farmers; et c.
                    • Laws, Amber
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 6, 2010
                        “dirt eaters”, if it is a real term may have come from a time when Mesopotamians underwent an era of famine that left a large portion of the population with an iron deficiency. Several medical studies have indicated that in times of famine or in areas where foods lack vital minerals, the people are often found to eat strange things such as dirt or clay as a supplement to their diets. Animals also do this. Look up Mississippi dirt eaters, African clay eaters, and mud eating elephants. It is also speculated that a similar sort of lack of vitamin or mineral in the diet may be what causes cravings in pregnancy.

                        “dirt farmers” comes from the era surrounding the depression when some farmers were paid to not plant crops by the government. Those that were being paid under this program were called by public, especially newspaper reporters of the day, “dirt farmers”. In addition after the droughts and excessive tornados of the “dust bowl” the name really stuck.

                        Check out the following for more information…

                        On “Dirt Eaters”
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geophagy - Anthropological and historical evidence specificly mentions Mesopatamia
                        http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,884551,00.html
                        http://www.newser.com/story/15211/not-so-bad-for-dirt-eaters-to-dig-in-study.html
                        http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dirt-eater

                        On “Dirt Farmers”
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl
                        http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dirt%20farmer

                        Amber (Eleanor)

                        From: Brent Nielsen

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 6, 2010
                          This is what I was referring to under the name 'pica' in my previous post. Pica is eating things we normally would not, such as dirt, mud, clay, sand, etc.

                          May your weekend be delicious,
                          Demetria