  • Justin Mansfield
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2010
      Iustinus Apicianis suis, doctissimis viris feminisque, salutem plurrimum dicet

      Or in other words, salvete omnes!

      I leave for my yearly Latin conference in a couple days. I had planned to prepare some of the stuff I'll need for the Cena Romana well in advance this year, but did not (this week in particular has been frightful).

      After last year's cena, someone requested I make salad next time.

      Apicius of course suggests that lettuce should be served with oxyporium, so that seems to be the best place to start. But the one time I tried to make Apiciusl oxyporium recipe it was not terribly pleasing. This may however be becaus I used, say, the wrong cheese, or put in too much or too little vinegar (the one ingredient he doesn't specify proportions for).

      We have two more oxyporia at least, in Collumella. I haven't made either of these, but I know Grant redacts at least one.

      Do any of you have experience with oxyporium or other salad recipes? Any advice for making them successfully? Additionally, when one makes salad for a large group, any idea how much lettuce to buy, how much dressing to make per person?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Gratias vobis ago, et valere iubeo

      -- Sent from my Palm Prē

    • sallygrain@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2010
        Hi

        the secret to salad dressing in any cuisine is as little as possble and as late as possible and particularly with the Apicius oxyporium. I suspect it was entirely a digestive remedy i.e.laxative rather then part of the cuisine as such and so to be avoided if you want to please your guests. i have made it and it was disgusting!
        Try apicius 3.7 which is a dressing for melon basic pepper honey vinegar fish sauce form of mint - its great on all kinds of salad. Ad a bit - pinch to be exact - of lovage, or cumin or carraway for a bit od spice
        or an adaption of 3.6.2/3 which is oil, vinegar, fish sauce honey celery seed and pepper. Use a vinaigrette ratio ie half vinegar to oil with the honey and fish sauce balanced to taste neither sweet nor sour You will have to work that one out yourself by making a small batch though dont simply multiply all the ingredients - the spice and fish sauce dont work that way. Work out what it should be and then half it at least.

        For 50 people use two large iceberg as the basis or the equivelent though use crisp not limp types - you will be amzed at how much is left!

        sally