Re: Sweet Raisin Wine or Muscatel Substitute

  • Phoenix
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 29 7:30 AM
      If you are going to a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern store, pick up a bottle of pomegranate syrup, too. It is used in sauces and marinades as well as makes a nice beverage on its own. As a mixer with juice, wine, or booze (martinis, it is quite tasty, too.

      You can also cook raisins in their own soak water, with or without grape juice. Depending on the amount you are making, after getting the consistency you seek, remove grapes and put them through a sieve several times, using clean muslin or cheesecloth to strain the juice away from the fruit. or:

      cool the plumped raisins and put them through a juicer to extract a bit more essence.

      I will sometimes put apple slices into cider and heat it up with spices and other fruit (optional: raisins, dried berries/cherries, very firm fresh pears, dried apricots, or fresh orange segments). The fruit can be sieved or juiced to enrich the brew, or served warm on the side as a dessert, or pureed into spoon sweets. The puree can also be used as a base for frozen fruit treats or fancy applesauce.

      Happy Spring to All,
      Demetria

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2010
        Anahita -

        You wrote:

        "I found that soaking raisins in water over night, then squeezing the
        raisins a bit before removing them made a thick dark liquid that tasted almost exactly like must."

        What ratio of raisins to water did you use? Did you discard the raisins after that? I'm thinking of trying my hand at making some of this.

        Vale -
        Correus
      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2010
          Greetings, Correus:

          >What ratio of raisins to water did you use? Did you discard the
          >raisins after that? I'm thinking of trying my hand at making some
          >of this.

          Gosh, i dont remember. A lot of raisins and enough water... not just
          a few raisins in lot of water. I know that isnt much help. Probably
          one or two handsful of raisins: my hand holds about 1/4 cup. Then
          covered with water maybe 1 cup tepid water to 1/2 cup raisins. Let
          soak overnight. Then i removed the raisins by hand, squeezing them so
          any liquid went back into the bowl, and in the process getting some
          squishy raisiny goo back into the liquid. I then discarded the raisin
          remains.

          Not very scientific... i hope it helps.
          --
          Anahita
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2010
            Thank you!!  This will help - I love 'experiments'.

            Correus