Sweet Raisin Wine or Muscatel Substitute

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
      SALVETE OMNES!

      I am in need of a substitute for sweet raisin wine or muscatel to be used in a Roman recipe.

      My 14 y/o niece really loves the Roman sweet cakes I make using Edwards' versions of recipes XI-4 & XI-5 Book VII (XIII-4 & XIII-5 in Flower & Rosenbaum).

      Since she is only 14, and plans to make this for some friends, I thought I should see what you all would suggest as a substitute for the wine.

      Any thoughts or suggestions?

      VALETE

      CORREVS·APPIVS· IVLIANVS·APICIVS

    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
        From: Correus <correus@...>

        > I am in need of a substitute for sweet raisin wine or muscatel to be used in a Roman recipe.
        >
        >My 14 y/o niece really loves the Roman sweet cakes I make using Edwards' versions of recipes XI-4 & XI-5 Book VII (XIII-4 & XIII-5 in Flower & Rosenbaum).
        >
        >Since she is only 14, and plans to make this for some friends, I thought I should see what you all would suggest as a substitute for the wine.

        When i made must cakes i bought a bottle of must. It was rather small and very expensive. I found that soaking raisins in water over night, then squeezing the raisins a bit before removing them made a thick dark liquid that tasted almost exactly like must. I'll never again be buying a bottle of that stuff.

        This should come close to raisin wine, without the alcohol, which i gather is what you are trying to avoid.

        Anahita
      • Kallimachus
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
          --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@... wrote:

          > From: Correus <correus@...>
          >
          > > I am in need of a substitute for sweet raisin wine or muscatel to be used in a Roman recipe.

          The raisin wine used by the Catholics is, pardon the word, divine...but it is sinfully expensive. I know of no substitute.

          > When i made must cakes i bought a bottle of must. It was rather small and very expensive. I found that soaking raisins in water over night, then squeezing the raisins a bit before removing them made a thick dark liquid that tasted almost exactly like must. I'll never again be buying a bottle of that stuff.

          Yes the must is another ripoff. Your idea seems excellent. Another is to go to a Middle Eastern supermarket, or a Greek food store, and buy grape syrup. Not exactly must, but similar and very inexpensive...much cheaper than buying grape-juice and boiling it down also(not must either).

          Kallimachus
          http://www.hellenicgods.org/
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 28, 2010
            Thanks for the info.  Yes - we need to avoid the alcohol due to age.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29, 2010
              The cooking process allows the alcohol to evaporate, doesn't?

              _____

              Thanks for the info. Yes - we need to avoid the alcohol due to age.

              --- On Sun, 3/28/10, Kallimachus <JimKollens@comcast.

              From: Kallimachus <JimKollens@comcast. <mailto:JimKollens%40comcast.net>
              net>
              To: Apicius@yahoogroups <mailto:Apicius%40yahoogroups.com> .com
              Date: Sunday, March 28, 2010, 6:47 PM

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2010
                Nope....

                From: Kallimachus <JimKollens@ comcast. <mailto:JimKollens% 40comcast. net>

                net>

                To: Apicius@yahoogroups <mailto:Apicius% 40yahoogroups. com> .com

                Date: Sunday, March 28, 2010, 6:47 PM

                --- In Apicius@yahoogroups .com, lilinah@... wrote:

                > From: Correus <correus@... >

                > > I am in need of a substitute for sweet raisin wine or muscatel to be

                used in a Roman recipe.

                The raisin wine used by the Catholics is, pardon the word, divine...but it

                is sinfully expensive. I know of no substitute.

                > When i made must cakes i bought a bottle of must. It was rather small and

                very expensive. I found that soaking raisins in water over night, then

                squeezing the raisins a bit before removing them made a thick dark liquid

                that tasted almost exactly like must. I'll never again be buying a bottle of

                that stuff.

                Yes the must is another ripoff. Your idea seems excellent. Another is to go

                to a Middle Eastern supermarket, or a Greek food store, and buy grape syrup.

                Not exactly must, but similar and very inexpensive. ..much cheaper than

                buying grape-juice and boiling it down also(not must either).

                Kallimachus

                http://www.hellenic gods.org/

              • Phoenix
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 29, 2010
                  If you are going to a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern store, pick up a bottle of pomegranate syrup, too. It is used in sauces and marinades as well as makes a nice beverage on its own. As a mixer with juice, wine, or booze (martinis, it is quite tasty, too.

                  You can also cook raisins in their own soak water, with or without grape juice. Depending on the amount you are making, after getting the consistency you seek, remove grapes and put them through a sieve several times, using clean muslin or cheesecloth to strain the juice away from the fruit. or:

                  cool the plumped raisins and put them through a juicer to extract a bit more essence.

                  I will sometimes put apple slices into cider and heat it up with spices and other fruit (optional: raisins, dried berries/cherries, very firm fresh pears, dried apricots, or fresh orange segments). The fruit can be sieved or juiced to enrich the brew, or served warm on the side as a dessert, or pureed into spoon sweets. The puree can also be used as a base for frozen fruit treats or fancy applesauce.

                  Happy Spring to All,
                  Demetria

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2 2:59 PM
                    Anahita -

                    You wrote:

                    "I found that soaking raisins in water over night, then squeezing the
                    raisins a bit before removing them made a thick dark liquid that tasted almost exactly like must."

                    What ratio of raisins to water did you use? Did you discard the raisins after that? I'm thinking of trying my hand at making some of this.

                    Vale -
                    Correus
                  • lilinah@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 2 7:00 PM
                      Greetings, Correus:

                      >What ratio of raisins to water did you use? Did you discard the
                      >raisins after that? I'm thinking of trying my hand at making some
                      >of this.

                      Gosh, i dont remember. A lot of raisins and enough water... not just
                      a few raisins in lot of water. I know that isnt much help. Probably
                      one or two handsful of raisins: my hand holds about 1/4 cup. Then
                      covered with water maybe 1 cup tepid water to 1/2 cup raisins. Let
                      soak overnight. Then i removed the raisins by hand, squeezing them so
                      any liquid went back into the bowl, and in the process getting some
                      squishy raisiny goo back into the liquid. I then discarded the raisin
                      remains.

                      Not very scientific... i hope it helps.
                      --
                      Anahita
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 2 7:24 PM
                        Thank you!!  This will help - I love 'experiments'.

                        Correus