Another good cookbook - "Art, Culture, and Cuisine", by Phyllis Pray Bober

  • Phoenix
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2010
      Valetudo Ut Totus!

      I have another cookbook to recommend.

      "Art, Culture, and Cuisine: Ancient and Medieval Gastronomy"
      Phyllis Pray Bober, ©1999, University of Chicago Press, Chicago & London.
      ISBN 0-226-06253-8 (cloth or alk. paper)

      paperback price, new, in 2009, was $ 25.00 US.

      I picked this up at the Bristol Renaissance Faire last year. It is a delightfully fun book
      filled with cultural information, history, religion & cult, some archaeology, stories about food and beverage, and recipes. There are 141 illustrations in this book!

      The cultures covered are prehistoric Catal Hoyuk (Turkey circa 6000 BCE ), Egypt, Mesopotamia, Ancient Greece/Crete, Hellenistic Greece, Rome, Early Middle Ages, and Late Gothic International. Recipes are presented for a dinner or feast from each culture.
      There are 63 pages of end notes that expand nicely on the subject matters presented.

      I enjoy this book a lot, and I hope you will too!
      Gauisus Epulum Ut Totus!

      and an anachronistic wish for all,

      Gong Hee Fot Choi! Happy Year of the Tiger!
      Demetria in Chicago