Permanent Kitchen

  • lisa blair
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2010
      Greetings to all,

      The Gulf Wars push is on for those of us in the SCA, and I am finally building a permanent kitchen on site........ doing the happy dance!!

      We have erected a permanent thermapolium frame at the Gulf Wars site..... I am finally getting a real kitchen this year that I don't have to break down and haul around. I have another large Knowne World function coming up this year, and it is going to be so nice to cook out of the period kitchen for everyone this year.

      I am building a second brazier, so there will be 2 stoves to cook from this year. I also procured a 10 gallon cast iron cook pot on a tripod, although it's not period, it will be awesome for linticulae. I will continue to use my clay ware for smaller dishes and such,but the big cauldron is going to be great for large quantity stews and soups.......

      I have done several demos on the past few months featuring Roman marching rations....Linticulae, panis, and pickled vegetables. We threw some moretum in there for good measure, and much to my surprise, the public loves moretum, even the children came back for seconds!! I wish I would have had the cauldron for this..... we cooked 20 pounds of lentils in two days at one demo..... that's a lot of lentils.

      I will be teaching several Roman cooking classes this year at war, so for you SCA'ers out there attending Gulf War, please come by the Osprey camp and check out my new digs.
      We will be erecting two small Romano British villas in the next two years with a permanent kitchen between them. The plan is to put a large Pompeian brick oven between the two and set up a series of clay pipes with dampers going to each villa..... central heat al la Roman style.

      Right now , it construction mode... and locating my mortaria and such. Everything has been packed up for a while. Health is better and things are settling down again, which means I am back in cook mode..... I found black chick peas the other day and snagged them.

      Gwenhwyvar
    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2010
        Gwenhwyvar wrote:
        >The Gulf Wars push is on for those of us in the SCA, and I am
        >finally building a permanent kitchen on site........ doing the happy
        >dance!!
        SNIP
        >I will be teaching several Roman cooking classes this year at war,
        >so for you SCA'ers out there attending Gulf War, please come by the
        >Osprey camp and check out my new digs.
        SNIP

        How exciting! I will be at Gulf Wars this year for my very first
        time. It is more than a 2-1/2 day drive at an average of 65 or 70 MPH
        from the San Francisco Bay to the site. I look forward to visiting
        your thermapolium!

        I will be teaching 2 classes, none having anything to do with this
        list, although one is an historical cooking class. I sure hope our
        classes don't conflict in time, because i'd love to take yours!
        --
        Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
        the persona formerly known as Anahita
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2010
          Ave'
          This sounds so wonderful, I would love to see it happening! Is it possible to post some pictures about your experience?

          Kris/Vibria