Fwd: Ancient Recipe

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2009
      My uncle sent me the following link:

      Staititai or Ancient Roman pizza
      http://invitadoinviernoeng.blogspot.com/2009/09/staititai-or-ancient-roman-pizza.html

      It is a blogger's attempt at Mark Grant's redaction of staetites. Grant of course believes it was pizza-like, rather than pancake-like (he has ben strangely belligerent about the teganites as well).

      The blogger really wanted to do this authentically, so I wish I could have warned him to use emmer instead of spelt!

      =

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2009
        Delightful. Now that finally my sour dough is behaving, I do it too. No
        honey and no feta, I use a sort of sheep or cow farmer cheese. I have the
        Gant book. My only objection is that he uses rosemary.

        Lucia

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2009
          Well, FYI, here's my own translation:

          ΣΤΑΙΤΙΤΑΣ πλακοῦς ποιὸς ἐκ σταιτὸς καὶ μέλιτος. μνημονεύει Ἐπίχαρμος ἐν Ἥβας Γάμῳ: σταῖς δ’ ἐστὶν ὑγρὸν εἰς τήγανον ὑποχεόμενον, μέλιτος ἐπιβαλλομένου καὶ σησάμης καὶ τυροῦ, ὡς Ἰατροκλῆς φησίν.
          Staetites: a sort of cake out of emmer-dough and honey. Epicharmos mentions it in The Marriage of Hebe: moist emmer-dough is poured into the frying pan, honey and sesame and cheese being added, as Iatrocles says.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2009
            I thought that Staititas was Greek. So basically is fried dough with honey and sesame seeds, plus the cheese. We have done the fried dough with honey for a big dinner a few years ago

            Thanks

            Lucia

            _____