Ancient Greek and Roman Recipes?

  • Heidi
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
      I'm doin a report for school on ancient greek and roman food, I want to bring in some food, but not like lamb or squid or things like that ;) I only have fruit salad right now, are there any easy-to-make yummy recipes anyone knows of?
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
        Do you like fried dough? It's Greek and Roman. Drizzle honey on it instead
        of sugar. Do you like sole? Sautee in a low casserole pan sliced leeks,
        simmer sole filets with them. Beat some eggs (one egg per 2 filets, more or
        less) with the liquid from the fish (just tilt the pan and scoop up the
        liquid), adjust for salt and pepper, add some marjoram, pour the mixture
        over the sole and pop in the oven (that's why you don't want a frying pan
        with a long handle) until the eggs are firm, just a few minutes. Done!

        Lucia

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
          Try an olive relish.... a favorite of our group

          2 cups chopped black olives
          2 cups drained chopped pimento stuffed green olives
          5 tablespoons ev olive oil
          3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
          pinch of chopped fennel seed
          pinch of cumin
          pinch of coriander
          pinch of ginger
          garlic (if you want it)

          Mix everything together.

          We serve with toasted garlic baguette slices.
        • Phoenix
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 14, 2009
            If you add minced red or sweet onion and a half pinch of crushed thyme, it becomes a chic-chic tapenade that is used for appetizers.

            Mediterranean Appeteaser Crackers
            Prepare olive relish as below, adding approximately 1/3 - 1/2 cup minced sweet or red onion and a half pinch to a pinch of crushed thyme.

            Spread softened goat cheese (or other soft cheese) on toasted flatbread such as pita or lavash, or a whole grain cracker.

            Top with a small amount (a teaspoonful or so) of olive relish.

            Optional: garnish with a parsley leaf or a caper. If serving on toasted bread as suggested by C. Stewart, a thin slice of fresh non-drippy cucumber is a nice 'topper' to this.

            Non-dairy option: a small amount of plain hummos can be substituted for the cheese.

            This is a variation of a popular appetizer that I have tried that is served by some Middle Eastern and Mediterranean caterers here in Chicago. I hope that you like it.

            Thanks to C. Stewart for the relish recipe!

            Happy nibbles,
            Demetria

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
              Thanks Demetria,

              We also serve the olive relish with another spread.

              Mix softened cream cheese, garlic, and feta. Spread this on those same garlic baguette slices. Add the olive relish on top....mmmmmmmm.

              Chris
              Legio XI CPF - Atlanta, GA
              www.11thlegion.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
                Mix softened cream cheese, garlic, and feta. Spread this on those same garlic baguette slices. Add the olive relish on top....mmmmmmmm.

                This jibes with the fact that epityrum means "on top of cheese," and I agree that it tastes fabulous on top of cheese!

                However, it turns out that this is a "folk etymology." in fact epityrum actually comes from the obscure Greek word ptyrin, which apparently means both "an olive left to dry on the tree" and "crushed olives (i.e. olive spread)." Being so obscure, the Romans must have just assumed they were mishearing "epityron" :) No doubt they then made sure too serve it on top of cheese.

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
                  All the food suggestions sound delicious -- but I'm wondering whether
                  the original requester might not have wanted actual ancient dish
                  suggestions to serve. Since few people are giving sources or
                  citations in this thread, I'm a bit worried that the impression might
                  be given that all the suggested dishes are solidly historic.

                  Heather Jones
                • richard robinson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 17, 2009
                    I have found
                    when going to "greek" and "roman" themed encampments
                    that it was only the olive tapenade that allowded me to "enjoy" the goat and sheeps cheeses that are not part of my regular diet.
                    BTW
                    It was suggested on another forum that olive pips may have been used to fuel ancient furnaces.
                    I mentioned this to a friend who said he saw olivepips made into bricks in north africa. last weekend i met an olive merchant who would gladly "give me the pips"
                    especially if i could help her learn the secret of making these fire bricks.
                    Any suggestions? She currently uses them as road base.
                    regards
                    richard

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 17, 2009
                      Heather,

                      We get the olive relish from Marcus Cato, "on Agriculture":

                      "119 Recipe for a confection of green, ripe, and mottled olives. Remove the stones from green, ripe, and mottled olives, and season as follows: chop the flesh, and add oil, vinegar, coriander, cummin, fennel, rue, and mint. Cover with oil in an earthen dish, and serve."

                      Tried with the mint a few times and didn't like it so much. We leave it out now.

                      We got the cheese spread recipe from a similar source, which escapes me right now.

                      Chris

                      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rose Jones <heather.jones@...> wrote:

                      > All the food suggestions sound delicious -- but I'm wondering whether
                      > the original requester might not have wanted actual ancient dish
                      > suggestions to serve. Since few people are giving sources or
                      > citations in this thread, I'm a bit worried that the impression might
                      > be given that all the suggested dishes are solidly historic.
                      >
                      > Heather Jones

                    • Heidi
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 18, 2009
                        well I need food that they ate in ancient times so these are ok :)

                        --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rose Jones <heather.jones@...> wrote:

                        > All the food suggestions sound delicious -- but I'm wondering whether
                        > the original requester might not have wanted actual ancient dish
                        > suggestions to serve. Since few people are giving sources or
                        > citations in this thread, I'm a bit worried that the impression might
                        > be given that all the suggested dishes are solidly historic.
                        >
                        > Heather Jones

                      • jbd_29349
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
                          I have had the olive relish created by Chris's wife and it is very good! I have also had the cheese spread many times and it is great!!

                          At our last event there was another food vendor that has a Roman themed resturant off of I-95 in South Carolina between Charleston and Savannah and he had an awesome cheese dip. There was several herbs and spices in it. I am no cook by any means but it had the cream chesse and feta but the herbs in spices I couldn't even begin to guess what they are. When I asked him what was in it he only told me several herbs in spices.

                          Hey Chris, I don't know if you or Michelle tried it but you having more of a cooking background than me might know.