Re: Cheese for Libum?

  • coivinix
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
      --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, James Matterer <jlmatterer@...> wrote:
      > Could someone please recommend a good cheese for making Libum from Cato, De Agricultura... If you have any further advice on this receipt (I'm curious about the bay leaves), please feel free to chime in.

      Hello Jim,
      I'll strongly second Lucia's recommendation of Pecorino Romano. I have made LIBVM with both All-purpose flour ("the finest flour"--don't forget to add some whole wheat to the mix; classical flour was never, ever as free of bran, etc. as our flour, even their finest) and with durum flour. In my experience, AP flour results in a firmer, solid product, while durum produces a lighter one. They are both good, just different.

      As far as the bay leaves go, I've used dry and fresh, preferring the fresh. I place the leaves such that one will be under each section of the LIBVM; my cakes are usually about 7 inches in diameter and scored into 6 pieces. I lay the leaves in a circle on my peel, stems pointing towards the center. Try to match the leaves and make them small. Then, carefully place the cake on the leaves and score the top with a straight edge (I have a fairly solid piece of brass strip stock which I keep in the kitchen for such things; press straight down, about half-way through). Then off to the oven (or under the TESTVM, if you're lucky enough).

      I've put some pictures of the process that may help make sense of this in my main album, here:

      Good luck, tell us how it goes, and show us some pictures.

      BONA FORTVNA

      COIVINIX
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2009
        I do use sheep Ricotta, not pecorino. The result is a soft little bread.
        Disterat in mortario can mean "work over" or soften, in a mortar. A guess a
        semisoft cheese like farmer cheese would be a good choice too, but the
        ricotta, once worked over a bit, saves me some work, and I like the flavor.
        I agree with adding some bran to the flour. I mix white unbleached with
        Graham. As to the bay leaves, to grow a little tree in a pot is really not
        hard. Mine is a good 15 years old and almost 3 feet tall. Every now and then
        I have to repot it, that's all.

        Lucia

        _____

        > Could someone please recommend a good cheese for making Libum from Cato,
        De Agricultura... If you have any further advice on this receipt (I'm
        curious about the bay leaves), please feel free to chime in.

        Hello Jim,
        I'll strongly second Lucia's recommendation of Pecorino Romano. I have made
        LIBVM with both All-purpose flour ("the finest flour"--don't forget to add
        some whole wheat to the mix; classical flour was never, ever as free of
        bran, etc. as our flour, even their finest) and with durum flour. In my
        experience, AP flour results in a firmer, solid product, while durum
        produces a lighter one. They are both good, just different.

        As far as the bay leaves go, I've used dry and fresh, preferring the fresh.
        I place the leaves such that one will be under each section of the LIBVM; my
        cakes are usually about 7 inches in diameter and scored into 6 pieces. I lay
        the leaves in a circle on my peel, stems pointing towards the center. Try to
        match the leaves and make them small. Then, carefully place the cake on the
        leaves and score the top with a straight edge (I have a fairly solid piece
        of brass strip stock which I keep in the kitchen for such things; press
        straight down, about half-way through). Then off to the oven (or under the
        TESTVM, if you're lucky enough).

        I've put some pictures of the process that may help make sense of this in my
        main album, here:
        <http://groups.
        r=ordinal>
        yahoo.com/group/Apicius/photos/album/2095414988/pic/list?order=ordinal>

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2009
          --- In Apicius@yahoogroups.com, "Lucia Clark" <luciaclark@...> wrote:

          > I do use sheep Ricotta, not pecorino. The result is a soft little bread.
          Cara Lucia,
          Sorry...I was writing from memory; it was Aurelia Rufinia who uses Pecorino, not you, of course. If our lives ever settle down again and we can enjoy each other's company and food, we'll have to compare our LIBVM. I'll look forward to it!

          Kevin/COIVINIX
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 12, 2009
            Same here, same here

            _____