Re: Menu ideas

  • bonho1962
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2009
      Dear Crystal,

      maybe the list Gellius provided about luxury food could be helpful: at least tunny, codfish, oysters, cockles, swordfish, pike, nuts and dates are available and could be prepared with recipes from Apicius.

      Yours,

      Rainer

      3 As for the verses themselves, he who has leisure may find and read them in the book which I have mentioned. 4 So far as my memory goes, these are the varieties and names of the foods surpassing all others, which a bottomless gullet has hunted out and which Varro has assailed in his satire, with the places where they are found: 5 a peacock from Samos, a woodcock from Phrygia, cranes of Media, p67a kid from Ambracia, a young tunny from Chalcedon, a lamprey from Tartessus, codfish from Pessinus, oysters from Tarentum, cockles from Sicily, a swordfish from Rhodes,88 pike from Cilicia, nuts from Thasos, dates from Egypt, acorns from Spain.

      http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Gellius/6*.html