Menu ideas

  • Crystal
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
      I'm going to throw a cena for about 9-10 people in a month or so and
      am trying to pull together a great menu. I'd love to hear what dishes
      others have served successfully. I am hoping to primarily serve from
      Apicius but if there are other tastes and treats from other Roman
      sources, I'd be open to ideas!

      Thanks in advance!
    • RM
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
        I suggest the following:

        Gustatio:
        Apic.3,7: Pepones et Melones (if you get some in this season ...)
        or
        Apic.7,19,3: In Ovis Apalis
        and
        Apic.4,5,4: Gustum de Praecoquiis

        Mensae Primae:
        Apic.1,5,1: Vitellina Fricta
        or/and
        Apic.10,3,5: Ius in Tinno Elixo
        and
        Apic.7,14,3: Bulbos Elixos in Pultarium Pressos

        Mensae Secundae:
        Apic.7,13,1: Dulcia Domestica
        and
        Apic.7,13,6: Aliter Dulcia (to be prepared as "Crescentine" from Northern Italy)

        Together: Mustaceos (Cato, De Agri Cultura, 121)

        Aperitif: Mulsum

        Very interesting are the dishes described in Plinius the Younger, Epist.1,15 (see here: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=1.15&fromdoc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0139).

        Best regards

        RM

      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
          Crystal wrote:
          > I'm going to throw a cena for about 9-10 people in a month or so and
          > am trying to pull together a great menu. I'd love to hear what dishes
          > others have served successfully. I am hoping to primarily serve from
          > Apicius but if there are other tastes and treats from other Roman
          > sources, I'd be open to ideas!

          I prepared 26 dishes for close to 100 (well, not all by myself, i had help :-), many from Apicius.

          Promulsis / Gustatio [Hors d'Oeuvres / Appetizers]
          * - Panis : Fresh Homemade Bread
          * - Caseum : Fresh Aged Cheese
          * - Epityrum : Chopped Seasoned Olive Relish [Cato the Censor, de Agricultura, 119]
          * - Moretum : Garlic, Herb, and Cheese Spread [The Ploughman's Lunch, anonymous Latin poet]
          * - Ius cum Ovis Hapalis : Boiled Eggs in Pine Nut Sauce [Apicius, Book VII, Chapter XIX, Recipe 3]
          * - Aliter Carduos : Herb Marinated Artichokes [Apicius, Book III, Chapter XIX, Recipe 2]
          * - Ius in Cordulla Assa : Grilled Tuna with Date Sauce [Apicius, Book IX, Chapter X, Recipe 5]

          Primera Mensa [First Course]
          * - Ius cum Pullo : Chicken with Plum Sauce [Apicius, Book VI, Chapter V, Recipe 1]
          * - Pernam : Ham with Figs in Pastry [Apicius, Book VII, Chapter IX, Recipe 1]
          * - Lucanicae : Smokey Sausages of Lamb [Apicius, Book II, Chapter IV]
          * - Sinapim : Mustard Sauce with Nuts [Columella 12, 57]
          * - Acetaria : Mixed Greens Salad [described in several sources]
          * - Hypotrimma : Cheese Sauce [Apicius, Book I, Chapter XIX]
          * - Boletos : Another Mushroom Dish [Apicius, Book VII, Chapter XIII, Recipe 6]
          * - Cuminatum in Patina de Persicis : Peaches in Cumin Sauce [Patina: Apicius, Book IV, Chapter II, Recipe 34]
          * - Cabbage in the Style of Athens [Mnesitheus (4th c. BCE), quoted by Oribasius, in Medical Collections, Book IV, Chapter 4, part 1 (4th c. CE); another version in Cato (c. 234-149 BCE) and quoted by Pliny the Elder (24-79 CE)]
          * - Erebinthoi Knakosymmigeis : Saffron Chickpeas [Piloxenus, The Dinner, quoted in Anthenaeus (circa 170-239 CE), The Partying Professors]
          * - Pulentium : Barley Polenta [Pliny, Naturalis Historia, 18, 73]

          Seconda Mensa [Second Course]
          * - Conditum Paradoxi Compositio : Spiced White Grape Juice Surprise [Apicius, Book I, Chapter I, Recipe 1]
          * - Patina Versatilis : Pine Nut Patina [Apicius, Book IV, Chapter II, Recipe 2]
          * - Mustei : Sweet Must Cakes [Cato the Censor, de Agricultura, 121]
          * - Savillum : Roman cheese cake [Cato the Censor, de Agricultura, 84]
          * - Almond Paste Peach Pits in Sugar Plate Chariots [not period]
          * - Fresh Fruit (including apples :-)

          A few notes:
          We served granita, homemade ice/sherbet (no dairy) between two courses, but this is not historically accurate. I did it because it was very hot - Sept. is usually our hottest month - and the hall has no air-conditioning.

          Normally the Conditum Paradoxi Compositio is made with wine. While the organization i cooked for allows us to buy wine for cooking, we cannot buy wine to be used as a beverage (legal issue of potentially serving a minor).

          I served the almond paste "peach pits" in sugar plate chariots because i wanted something unusual as part of the service, as in the feast of Trimalchius, in "The Satyricon" of Petronius. They are, however, 16th century Spanish.

          Bibliography, menu, and all recipes at:
          http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/2003-Mists_Bardic/2003-Greco-Roman0.html

          If you have any questions (such as reducing quantities by 90 percent :-) please write me.
          --
          Urtatim (that's urr-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2009
            RM <apicius@...> wrote:
            >Very interesting are the dishes described in Plinius the Younger, Epist.1,15 (see here: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=1.15&fromdoc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0139).

            The link will not work as written because you included punctuation.
            Without the end parens and without the period it will work
            http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=1.15&fromdoc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0139
            --
            Anahita
          • bonho1962
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2009
              Dear Crystal,

              maybe the list Gellius provided about luxury food could be helpful: at least tunny, codfish, oysters, cockles, swordfish, pike, nuts and dates are available and could be prepared with recipes from Apicius.

              Yours,

              Rainer

              3 As for the verses themselves, he who has leisure may find and read them in the book which I have mentioned. 4 So far as my memory goes, these are the varieties and names of the foods surpassing all others, which a bottomless gullet has hunted out and which Varro has assailed in his satire, with the places where they are found: 5 a peacock from Samos, a woodcock from Phrygia, cranes of Media, p67a kid from Ambracia, a young tunny from Chalcedon, a lamprey from Tartessus, codfish from Pessinus, oysters from Tarentum, cockles from Sicily, a swordfish from Rhodes,88 pike from Cilicia, nuts from Thasos, dates from Egypt, acorns from Spain.

              http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Gellius/6*.html